Huge solid softwood desk top - workbench suggestions.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ObservantGround28

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I was able to reclaim a huge(trued up it’ll be around 550x2000x100) edge laminated slab previously being used as a desk. It appears to be softwood (sorry no idea what kind).

So the first thing that I thought when I saw it was “workbench” - in fact it’ll be my first project and first workbench.

It’s not particularly attractive as the The laminated lengths are not uniform size and the grain pattern varies a lot ( plus lots of knots). But it is heavy and pretty flat which is the most important thing.

So my question is , as it’s too narrow ,would laminating more 2x4s to the either of long edges be the simplest way to make this a more practical surface?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 82CB35F2-3726-4A49-BFAD-4F294C8AC40A.jpeg
    82CB35F2-3726-4A49-BFAD-4F294C8AC40A.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 254
It's wide enough for that part of the bench which takes the actually woodwork. You could make a simple lightweight tool well out of anything at all (a bit of ply, for instance), then a further raised bit at the back out of timber somewhat matching the front, and with a skirt back and front and some decent legs you'll have a wonderful bench. The key is the robust legs, and bracing such that the whole thing doesn't rack. That latter function can be provided by deep skirts, but it doesn't have to be.

Depends on your planing skills to get the new boards flat and true to the old ones really.
You will need a lot of clamps (borrow?)

ObservantGround28":212pm1xz said:
Hi. I was able to reclaim a huge(trued up it’ll be around 550x2000x100) edge laminated slab previously being used as a desk. It appears to be softwood (sorry no idea what kind).

So the first thing that I thought when I saw it was “workbench” - in fact it’ll be my first project and first workbench.

It’s not particularly attractive as the The laminated lengths are not uniform size and the grain pattern varies a lot ( plus lots of knots). But it is heavy and pretty flat which is the most important thing.

So my question is , as it’s too narrow ,would laminating more 2x4s to the either of long edges be the simplest way to make this a more practical surface?

Thanks in advance
I'd probably split it down the middle to make two 225x2000x100 and construct a trad bench with a well also 225 or thereabouts. Much more practical as a woodwork bench and also a lot easier than making a single piece table top.
Work tables are one thing, work benches are a different thing altogether.

I've just got access to a load of reclaimed roof joists (possibly 75+ years old). Typcically, what type of wood would have been used at that time (it looks slightly red/pink)? Is it worth the effort of cleaning them up to make the legs and frame? Did they treat them at that time? There are 2x4s, 2x3s and 3x8s (but only 3 of those and enough for 3 of the legs). I've also got lengths of treated 2x4's.

Back