How to smoothen wall paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamiePattison

Established Member
Reaction score
Back again! I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or tricks for this issue.

The kitchen wall was painted years ago. New tiles were then added. I've now removed these tiles and can see the tile glue has removed some of the paint leaving the wall paint uneven.

I tried to sand it down but I can still see the slight dip where the paint came away when removing the tile.

Is there an easy way to even the wall so you can't see patches of old paint removed?

And repeat…. I had the same problem and finished up going through about five fill/sand passes before the wall was fully smooth.
Just to reiterate in case I've misled anyone, the uneveness is just paint removed from a few areas on the wall. Maybe a mm or less so I was assuming one pass then sanding would be good enough as it's not that deep.

I also assume that product I listed is easily applied and maybe not as thick as Polyfilla could be?

I've been doing a simarlar job at home, I've been using knauf proroll light plaster fills well and sands easily leaving a very smooth finish

Just to reiterate in case I've misled anyone, the uneveness is just paint removed from a few areas on the wall. Maybe a mm or less so I was assuming one pass then sanding would be good enough as it's not that deep.

I also assume that product I listed is easily applied and maybe not as thick as Polyfilla could be?
Product you said should work fine for your intended purpose mines a bit more severe

Mine was paint pulled off when removing wall paper. It is amazing how the edges continue to show when there is raking light across the wall. Mine was a feature wall in the bedroom which was repainted with a fairly dark satin finish so really needed a lot of work.

As an ex painter and decorator I'd make sure you get your fine filler from a decorators merchants (youllbe amazed at the difference in workability). Just ask them and they'll advise which is best and you'll definitely have a decor merchants somewhere hidden away in your town...

Another thing (and what separates the rubbish painters/decorators from thw others) I would add is to get some sugar soap and clean the surface down. Then a upva thinned down as sealant over the patches where you'll be using the fine filler as it'll adhere better.

Afterwards when you start painting there'd be no harm in using the paint thinned as a primer/base coat to try and reduce the risk of blotchy patches in the finished job.

Hope that helps and sorry if it sounds alot of work!

I'd make sure you get your fine filler from a decorators merchants (youllbe amazed at the difference in workability).
I would say that applies to a lot more than just filler, I get all my paint and primer from a decorating merchants and the quality is just spot on compared to some of the stuff sold by the sheds. The same for brushes, rollers and other decorating tools where since buying brands such as Staalmeester, Picasso and Wooster I get much better results. I do use Isopons body filler though as it drys fast and can be smoothed to a glass finish, I believe some of the decorators stuff is the same just coloured.

I would say that applies to a lot more than just filler, I get all my paint and primer from a decorating merchants and the quality is just spot on compared to some of the stuff sold by the sheds. The same for brushes, rollers and other decorating tools where since buying brands such as Staalmeester, Picasso and Wooster I get much better results. I do use Isopons body filler though as it drys fast and can be smoothed to a glass finish, I believe some of the decorators stuff is the same just coloured.
That's right @Spectric after getting our first taste of the trade stuff we never used the normal DIY storws again. Even the Trade paints but the same brand have so much better coverage. Bought a set of Purdeys which are about 15 years old now and still going strong - nothing like that pretend rubbish they try to sell as quality in the DIY shops...

Such a shame that they get regular punters to buy such rubbish. But the price difference is what puts people off, not realising the false economy of it all...

Back again! I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or tricks for this issue.

The kitchen wall was painted years ago. New tiles were then added. I've now removed these tiles and can see the tile glue has removed some of the paint leaving the wall paint uneven.

I tried to sand it down but I can still see the slight dip where the paint came away when removing the tile.

Is there an easy way to even the wall so you can't see patches of old paint removed?
Easifill or toupret

Back