How to replace Motor Pully on Union Gradute Lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulkane1

Established Member
Reaction score
Could some kind people on this Forum kindly give me some advise on how to replace the Motor Pullys on my Union Gradute Lathe? First of all ,how do I determine if it's a Metric or Imperial Bore! I'd,(5/8 inch)or(19mm)?Would this information be on the small plate on the motor ,inside the housing?which on mines is hard to see.Once you have the correct Pully Bore,is it a straight forward job to replace Pullys onto the motor?Would anyone know where is the best place to buy these parts?and,lastly ,where can I find the identification number of my lathe? Is that on thre Motor access door!All help would be appreciated.

Paul

flh801978":1kwvodrx said:
Remove the motor
Remove grub screw,s
Pull pulley off
Measure
Obtain
Refit

I can supply you a pulley if you need
Could you give me a price + delivery too Belfast, PM me if you wish

You should find the serial number stamped right at the outboard end of the bed (think on mine it's on the side nearest to you) and if you look it up here http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrisonwood/ you can find which year it was made, mine was made in 1961. Lots of other useful info on that site as well. Don't know about removing motor pulley as I changed the motor and pulley together when I made it vari-speed running from an inverter. New motor pulley has 3 sizes so can get different speed ranges, heaven knows what they are though, still experimenting. I have a copy of the manual, if you would like a photocopy let me know.
Barry

barrywat":3164whtl said:
You should find the serial number stamped right at the outboard end of the bed (think on mine it's on the side nearest to you) and if you look it up here http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrisonwood/ you can find which year it was made, mine was made in 1961. Lots of other useful info on that site as well. Don't know about removing motor pulley as I changed the motor and pulley together when I made it vari-speed running from an inverter. New motor pulley has 3 sizes so can get different speed ranges, heaven knows what they are though, still experimenting. I have a copy of the manual, if you would like a photocopy let me know.
Barry
Thanks Kindly for your help,I noticed you said ,that your Motor has 3 Pully Wheels Sizes? exactly what is on my Motor(3 Pully Wheels) when I put this on this Forum,I think I was getting strange looks,but,like yourself,I don't know what speed I'm getting,with a Motor with 3 Pully Wheels?It could be ,the Top RPM I'm getting at the moment ,could be at the 2250 bracket,so,I would not need to change from a 3 Wheel to 4 Wheel.I would love to have a copy of the manual,greatly appreciated.
Paul

I bought mine from a school, it was 3 phase with the original gryphon 400v motor and I think 3 pulley wheels. Never used it as it arrived, just did the conversion to vari-speed by fitting new 240v 3 phase motor and inverter. I'll check tomorrow when I can get to the workshop and have a look at the pulley. Seem to remember I wanted to fit old pulley, but shafts were different sizes so had to buy a replacement. Inclined to agree with others that being a school lathe it was probably speed restricted. One day I'll get round to checking what speed mine runs at. Took some time to get the tension lever set correctly as I had to modify the mounting plate for the motor which raised it slightly.

Barry

flh801978":1gwsha3y said:
Paul
Can. You post a picture of what you have
So we can ascertain which pulley ring you are short of?

Ian
It won't let me upload images,too big it says, If you send me your email I'll post images too you,

paulkane1":6r64lezv said:
It won't let me upload images, too big it says, If you send me your email I'll post images to you,
If you don't already have photo-editing software, download the free Irfanview. For simple re-working image size it is ideal. The size limit is 256k if I remember correctly.

Latest posts

Back