• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

How to plane wood to select thickness using only hand plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
This seems a basic question but im not really getting if its possible to do.

I suppose you can check as you go along, but how good a result can you get using hand planes vs an electric thickness planer? I'm sure it isnt too hard to get a smooth surface, but flat and to a pre-selected thickness seems much tougher to achieve.

If someone can link to a resource about this instead of answering, that would also be great.

Thank you.

Teckel

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to have to do this when I worked at antiques. Used to love sweeping across the board and seeing shavings roll out of the plane.
As good as sex !!

SammyQ

Established Member
Reaction score
Quote: "As good as sex !!"

This puts a whole new connotation on the word "woodie" ????? :shock:

Or, speaking as a fellow indiginous human on the green island that is Ireland, I would like to point out that not all male members (!) of this forum over here share these sentiments....... :lol:

Sam, grabbing titfer, clout, an' goin' out....

Teckel

Established Member
Reaction score
SammyQ":32bipbqy said:
Quote: "As good as sex !!"

This puts a whole new connotation on the word "woodie" ????? :shock:

Or, speaking as a fellow indiginous human on the green island that is Ireland, I would like to point out that not all male members (!) of this forum over here share these sentiments....... :lol:

Sam, grabbing titfer, clout, an' goin' out....
As a friend says "id rather me dinner.." :lol: :lol:

Togalosh

Established Member
Reaction score
It's very straight forward but probably best to see how it's done. This DVD explains it very well and would be well worth getting http://www.finefurnituremaker.com/planepublic.htm

I'd agree with this option - especially as it's on offer to newbies. It shows not just technique but honing your bench plane too ( something I never even heard of)...mind you time served pro's always make things look easy.