How to make hinges?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonderWoman

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to somehow make a hing which is about 8mm wide at most.
I was thinking of getting some metal tubing and solder 2 bits to one side and one bit to the other with a wire going through them all(do you get what I mean?)

Any suggestions?

Mod Edit, Moved from Completed Projects to Off-Topic. Adam

Hello Wonder
Hinges are usually made from drawn brass or from folded steel. Whilst you need a very large press to draw brass, you can fold steel in a vice and make hinges for yourself. You need to pieces of flat steel plate about 1mm thick. Cut a profile on one side like a box or finger joint, you will need 3 fingers on one plate and two on the other plate, when put together the fingesrs should be a close fit into each other.
A piece of round steel or brass bar is then needed to bend the steel plate with 3 fingers. the part of the plate that need bending is the fingers. Form a tight fold around the bar for all of the fingers.
Then insert the plate with 2 fingers through the holes that are left. The form these in the same way as the 3 fingers.
Touch them up with a file.

Hope that makes sense its easier than it sounds and described.

Bean

Thanks for the info.
Sadly im more of an inside of a loo roll and sticky back plastic kinda girl plus I dont think id have the tools/knowhow/strength to do what you have suggested.
Thanks anyhoo.

Wonderwoman":sju71a5q said:
I was thinking of getting some metal tubing and solder 2 bits to one side and one bit to the other with a wire going through them all(do you get what I mean?)

Thats exactly how jewellery hinges are made - so that is probably the best way.

Cheers

Tim

:D how much wight dose it need to hold maybe model air plaine hinges would do like these

if you think they might PM me i may still have some

martyn

To give you an idea, Ive been googling and the most appropriate thing looks like piano hinges but only 8mm wide.

Trial002.jpg
[/img]

Hi wonderwoman, I have about half a dozen of these if they are of any use to you. 14mil by 10 mil.

If you want them PM me and I'll drop them in the post.

Alan.

Sorry Hitch I cant open the link.

gwaithcoed-Looks like they may be the ones.Certainly the right size.
Just to be extra picky, I was after them in aluminium colour.
Can you remember where you got them from?

Hi WonderWoman,

I bought them at least 10years ago from the hobby's catalouge when I was making dolls houses. They're still yours FOC if you want them.

Alan

Ive attempted my version of a hinge, using tubes and rods, it looks horrid, due to my soldering plus when I open it the foil tape comes off the perspex which isnt ideal.
The hinges need to be wider so the 2 peices of the book type thing im making has more room to manover in.

Back