How to adjust one radiator?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WD40 is very good at displacing moisture, and can be useful for freeing things up, however it should not be used as a lubricant long term. It very quickly dries out to a varnish like consistency, and then tends to gum up whatever it freed in the first place. Plus Gas is far better as a penetrating oil.
for lubricating anything containing plastic or similar a silicon oil is usually a safe bet, you can buy it anywhere that sells airguns, or via Mr Google.

I believe Worcester Bosch specify 22mm for the gas feed.
Depends on the boiler rating (KW/hr or BTU.

I have a 19KW running on 15mm.

Most boilers fitted in the UK are way oversized. I have range rated my boiler down to 12KW and my boiler is currently maintaining the house with the burner modulated to 16% (or 2KW) at an ambient temp of 5.6C. Last 24 hours the boiler consumed 83.5 KW/hr or average of 3.5 per hour.

Boiler running 24/7 using weather compensation control - no room thermostats - no zones.

Depends on the boiler rating (KW/hr or BTU.

I have a 19KW running on 15mm.

Most boilers fitted in the UK are way oversized. I have range rated my boiler down to 12KW and my boiler is currently maintaining the house with the burner modulated to 16% (or 2KW) at an ambient temp of 5.6C. Last 24 hours the boiler consumed 83.5 KW/hr or average of 3.5 per hour.

Boiler running 24/7 using weather compensation control - no room thermostats - no zones.
Not completely true- the gas supply should be sized to accommodate the boiler’s maximum rating even if it’s used on the minimum setting.. when your boiler is serviced if done correctly it’s gas rated at the maximum output and if the 15mm supply can’t deliver this then it can lead to expensive remedial work .

My gas supply to my Worcester Bosch 28i boiler is in 22mm but when the gas safe guy comes to service it he still insists on putting it into service hi load mode and watches/times the gas meter to see the demand is being met.

My gas supply to my Worcester Bosch 28i boiler is in 22mm but when the gas safe guy comes to service it he still insists on putting it into service hi load mode and watches/times the gas meter to see the demand is being met.
That’s the correct way - your gas engineer is doing a good job 👍

Just to update, the issue isn't apparent anymore and I don't know why..... It is the closest rad to the boiler but it isn't warm any further.

I will have to read the above advice again to see what condition may have been met in order for this to stop doing what I reported at I was focused on waiting for it to reoccur.

Thank you everyone!

Hi,
I believe 22mm is now the regs and all new fits should be 22mm and any mods same.
Regards,
Dave
The objective is that you have a maximum allowed pressure drop between the meter and your boiler when operating at full demand which in most cases can only be met with 22mm pipe but it is not a simple answer. Any boiler over a certain size must be at least 22 but a large boiler that is a long way from the meter may require 28 but a small boiler close to the meter might be ok with 15.

Not completely true- the gas supply should be sized to accommodate the boiler’s maximum rating even if it’s used on the minimum setting.. when your boiler is serviced if done correctly it’s gas rated at the maximum output and if the 15mm supply can’t deliver this then it can lead to expensive remedial work .
Exactly true 15mm is good for 19KW iaw manufacturers (Viessman) spec and passed all aspects of the standard commissioning benchmarks (specifically pressure drop). It was gas rated at 19KW for all the commissioning and range rated to 65% later in the process.

Back