How to achieve this color pine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Specifically what pine and what finish would you use to get something close to this picture? The only pine that seems to be readily available is southern yellow, which looks really, well, yellow!
14407456784811.jpg

Attachments

• 14407456784811.jpg
    14407456784811.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,609
there is an old post by condeesteso (douglas) that discusses raging pine, and IIRC he found something that worked well.

Some useful info on stains there but I'm more interested in what particular pine that piece is made of

we used to use old dirty caustic soda to darken up pine, then varnish or wax it

Woodmonkey":1jzpf0em said:
Some useful info on stains there but I'm more interested in what particular pine that piece is made of
Timber wise you could use your local builder's merchant standard par pine, here it tends to be 5ths or 6ths redwood it would give you that grain and those knots anyway.

I would look at the Briwax range of furniture wax polishes.
I've used their Antique Pine wax which is probably a bit darker than the furniture in the attached picture, so maybe look at what they have which is a shade or two lighter.

I wouldn't even attempt to match pine colours (unless painting) as it is impossible. Even if you matched it exactly with a particular original they would continue to age and change colour differently. 5 years on and they wouldn't match.
The stuff in your picture looks boringly nondescript anyway - possible post caustic-soda dipping? Why bother to match it?

Jacob":2iemdswm said:
I wouldn't even attempt to match pine colours (unless painting) as it is impossible. Even if you matched it exactly with a particular original they would continue to age and change colour differently. 5 years on and they wouldn't match.
The stuff in your picture looks boringly nondescript anyway - possible post caustic-soda dipping? Why bother to match it?

on the whole , this is true. UV light wreaks havoc with woods and colouring systems. Not so bad if you keep the furniture in the shadows but still the timbers will age and change colour over a period of years

Jacob":1dz26hii said:

If that's what someone has asked for and they are willing to pay for it.... Telling your customers that their furniture is boringly nondescript might not always be the way to go!

I was recently talking to the owner of one of the architectural antique outlets around here a few weeks ago.
He mentioned using tea bags and coffee grounds for colouring when Repairing and matching old stripped pine.
In the absence of a formula for the tea bags idea, I believe you should look at the various pine canned finishes and try out on a test piece, should you ever find a match for old stripped pine, please let me know!
The odd times I have to repaired and match old pine, I have paid out for the original, reclaimed pine from floorboards or a broken dresser etc and just hand waxed the finish.
Regards Rodders

PS,I meant to say what a nice piece to make, How many Do you have to make?

southern yellow pine will look totally different if you mix it with regular pine, mild caustic soda, wash thouroughly then when dry build up with various layers of wax rubbed well back

Back