Pale Pine floorboards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello

I have old pine floorboards and I'm trying to get this finish as per the photos.

Does anyone know how this could be achieved.

I have tried a sample of Woca while oil, but not coming anywhere close.

House_of_Grey_Exhibition_dark_radiator_graphic_art.jpg

I worked on an old property for a firm of architects, and they achieved this look by using floor paint on the old boards.

Hi Niall, thanks for sharing do you how did they did this with which paint etc ?
One of the things I remember from the job was that all the paint specified was from a firm called" Bolloms" The paint used to come in easily recognised tins, with thin blue and white horizontal stripes on them. ,

It was very trendy amongst architects and interior designers at the time - I believe the firm went on to concentrate on fire retardant paints for the film and tv industry. Though BRI-WAX, one of their other products is still around,

It would have been a floor paint, though,, which is harder wearing than the standard. Any floor paint from other manufacturers will do . And, there seems to be quite a range available at present.

Last edited:
One of the things I remember from the job was that all the paint specified was from a firm called" Bolloms" The paint used to come in easily recognised tins, with thin blue and white horizontal stripes on them. ,

IT was very trendy amongst architects and interior designers at the time - I believe the firm went on to concentrate on fire retardant paints for the film and tv industry. Though BRI-WAS, one of their other products is still around,

It would have been a floor paint, though,, which is harder wearing than the standard. Any floor paint from other manufacturers will do . And, there seems to be quite a range available at present.
many thanks Niall will take a look

I'll second that - Pine has a habit of going orange if merely varnished and the trick to achieve that look is to paint with a thinned white base prior to the final protective finish.
If you search my thread you'll see how I used a similar technique way more subtle than that which you want but you'll get the idea.
Personally I'd use a white primer thinned to suit and from the same manufacturer as your proposed protective finish coat so as to ensure bonding/paint compatibility and try on a few test pieces to thin it to get the effect you desire. You could try on a patch of the target floor and just sand it back if you get it wrong - it's pretty thin !
One thing to be careful about is that if thinning a lot (as I was) you run the risk of the white pigment pooling in the sanded grain of the timber - which maybe is not what you want.
If you speak/read Scandi then search some of their forums since it's been a popular look out there for 50+ years !!
/Ed

I'll second that - Pine has a habit of going orange if merely varnished and the trick to achieve that look is to paint with a thinned white base prior to the final protective finish.
If you search my thread you'll see how I used a similar technique way more subtle than that which you want but you'll get the idea.
Personally I'd use a white primer thinned to suit and from the same manufacturer as your proposed protective finish coat so as to ensure bonding/paint compatibility and try on a few test pieces to thin it to get the effect you desire. You could try on a patch of the target floor and just sand it back if you get it wrong - it's pretty thin !
One thing to be careful about is that if thinning a lot (as I was) you run the risk of the white pigment pooling in the sanded grain of the timber - which maybe is not what you want.
If you speak/read Scandi then search some of their forums since it's been a popular look out there for 50+ years !!
/Ed
Thanks Ed! awesome insight.

It looks like the stuff available from a Scandinavian place. I was asked by a client to use some of their boards. I am having a blank about the name right now, will update if I remember. They do boards and furniture made with it all in this pale style.
Always looks to me like it was painted white then they changed their mind and stripped it back, it might be a bleaching or a lime wash type of thing.

Latest posts

Back