How things have changed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MattRoberts":1z9lbq0a said:
chippy1970":1z9lbq0a said:
Talking of domino's , owners might want to watch this

https://youtu.be/ae6321UMKj0
Interesting concept, however one of the reasons I bought a domino was to create invisible joints. That method uses externally facing screws.

I'm not actually sure what that's achieving over using normal dominos and glue though, apart from not having to use glue? The ability to disassemble & reassemble?
It's for assembly IE flat pack furniture. Similar to cam dowel fittings. You would hide that screw under the furniture or on top for example.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Kind of bringing Ikea into your own shop eh Chris?

In fact I need a couple of new wardrobes, so that might be worth looking at. Presumably the system would have a resale value? 8)

(hammer)

Neither I nor any of my employees use domino's. We make 100's of bespoke pieces a year. We do on occasion use the bead lock system for breadboard ends and I prefer this system over the domino as it seems more flexible in how you can use it. We also use biscuits for making panels and tops. If we just the same amount of domino's as we did biscuits we wouldn't make a profit. We use pocket holes for the sake of clamping only. I hate pocket holes.

If I see anyone using a biscuit, pocket hole or beadlock instead of where a tradional m&t or better suited joint would be better, gets in trouble. Do it properly or go work elsewhere.

Although we have loads of machines and powers tools and the resources to purchase most things. I'll always favor picking up hand tools and doing the traditional way. That's what our company is built upon.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Hudson Carpentry":ppgi465f said:
We also use biscuits for making panels and tops. If we just the same amount of domino's as we did biscuits we wouldn't make a profit.

Tight margins then?

Lol. I'm sorry, I don't believe that.

Last time I saw a glowing report on using a domino machine, the cost of the machine exceeded what I payed for a full size floor standing mortiser. Likewise a decent power router can do all the jobs that a biscuit jointer is capable of and many more, again for a modest cost. There is no real substitute for skilled conventional methods even when you are using modern powered tools to speed the job along. My son purchased a biscuit jointer many years ago and we cut a few joints to try it out, it's stayed in the box ever since because we use better, easier and more professional methods. If I think of a use for it I would be delighted but it seems unlikely.
If you enjoy using this type of tool, fine, but you are not doing the skilled work you are probably capable of, as to the old chestnut about Chippendale loving chipboard if he had it available, I'm sure he would have liked those plastic joining devices as well.

May I suggest getting cutter knives made to copy the Domino profile.... We have and turn all our hardwood scrap into dominos in every size.....

I was trained with a love and respect for beautiful Hardwoods, craftsmanship and dedication to hand tools.....

BUT!!!! Was also trained in business.....

Every door internal and external in my home was made with hand cut wedged M&T joints, every draw in my kitchen has hand cut dovetail draws all made by my joiners (and a little by myself)...

What allowed me to One.. take my joiners off of paid work to do it.. And Two... Afford it.....

Is the fact that we are surrounded by biscuit jointers and Domino machines every where we turn in the workshop. These machines have thousand of uses on a daily basis, are cheap to buy and maintain... the list goes on..

The only time they become a bad machine is when some 'DONUT!!!' uses a biscuit jointer as a loose tenon on an internal door!!!!!....ECT...

These machines only get a bad name due to a lot of poor quality joiners using them as insufficient joining machines due to poor skill set or want of making a quick Buck!!

Best

Wolfey

Benchwayze":3fmymvlo said:
Kind of bringing Ikea into your own shop eh Chris?

In fact I need a couple of new wardrobes, so that might be worth looking at. Presumably the system would have a resale value? 8)

(hammer)
Oh I don't know about that lol.

I'm not convinced these things are any good. Festool recently bought out one for the bigger domino which was a but more engineered than this. I can see they've had to make it more simple so it would fit smaller sized material. Ive since seen talk that this doesn't really pull the joint together so you'd have to clamp it.

Looks like the cam dowel is still the way to go on this type of joint.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I mostly use biscuits to aid alignment, for example edge jointing boards. Biscuits keep the boards in line whien clamping them together.

So far I am still using the supply of dominos that came with the machine. Were I to make my own domino biscuits, I would use suitable thickness waterproof ply, and just ease the arrises with a block plane. I wouldn't bother about the slight voids this might cause, because that's my bit of 'wriggle room'! I've always done slip tenons that way because I believe the criss-cross grain of the ply is much the stronger option. The mortice cheeks would give in first.

HTH :)

When I make my own screws to save giving toolstation £2.78 I make sure they're slightly different lengths, makes it more fun when you're screwing through into the back of veneered wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back