how old is old enough for stanley planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haggisbasher

Established Member
Reaction score
evening folks

I am a newbie putting together a toolkit. like everyone I'm on a budget so looking for a second hand plane. I have read a lot of stuff and understand that modern Stanley is rubbish but old Stanley is good. With this in mind can anyone give me a rough idea how far back you go to get good Stanley.

eg is it 80s, 70s or are we talking proper antiques.

it si to be an everyday user and I understand some fettling wil be in order just hoping to make sure the raw material is worth spending time on.

Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom,

I've always been told to try and get something pre-war (2nd WW that is). I think the manufacturing started to go down-hill after that. There will be more knowledgeable galoots who'll give you some things to look out for to date a plane so you have a better chance of getting a decent one.

I usually shoot for something between 1900-1940. Mainly because I have a 70's one and it just terrible compared to the oldies. Also some of the oldies have laminated blades which take a really good edge. From what I've heard you look for the irons that are squared off at the top as opposed to rounding you see on the later models. Though I suppose somebody could'a put an old blade in a newer one.

Check this ebay auction out. This is an example of the squared iron. I can't tell the year, but it looks about in the right time frame.

Never had haggis, but bashing it sounds like a good idea to me too :wink:

What's the thing about bashing haggis? I had some in Glasgow in '98 and it was wonderful (driving around for two hours to find a place that served it was less so :? )

A few years later I bought some from a place called "House of Scotland" here in Ottawa, and it was terrible in comparison...

I guess the recipe used is crucial...

DC

There nothing like a freshly shot haggis :lol:

However they are no good in the poncey south (central belt) you need to get further north than Perth for a decent one.

Tip. save some for frying for breakast next morning - loverly :lol:

Haggis,

He is a bit pricey but why not take a trip up to Inchmartin (someone help me with a link), you can compare them in the flesh there.

Between Stirling & Perth just off the A9

How do you actually date these older planes????

I bought a No 6 off the bay recently - corrugated sole, sweetheart blade, stamped with "US patent Apr-19-10". Any ideas?

Cheers

Karl

if you've seen the Simpsons episode with the snakes then you understand how the haggis are hunted :)

I believe that North American food health regulations (USA certainly dont want to lump you in with your southern cousins, know how that feels) prevent the use of offal in foodstuffs they also prevent the inport of offal therefore you cant experience the true delicacy. I have friends in New Hampshire int eh US who are highland reenactors and they thought they new about Haggis till they came over and tasted the real thing. They have never eaten it since because the US version is so different and not a patch on the real deal.

Macsweens of Edinburgh were voted the best haggis for many years not sure if they are still so good though.

Cheers
Tom

JesseM":1g4evpsm said:
I usually shoot for something between 1900-1940.

A fine approach in the USA, but difficult advice to act in in the UK.

Stanley wasn't imported in any quantity before approx 1930.

BugBear

haggisbasher":1h8j3fs5 said:
evening folks

I am a newbie putting together a toolkit. like everyone I'm on a budget so looking for a second hand plane. I have read a lot of stuff and understand that modern Stanley is rubbish but old Stanley is good. With this in mind can anyone give me a rough idea how far back you go to get good Stanley.

I would advise (if you can) buying Record (which are normally better than Stanley of the same age).

In the OK Woden and Marples-Hibernia (painted red, with a shamrock logo) are also well made tools.

Avoid really modern tools; plastic handles are good sign to avoid!

BugBear

I always shoot for the as early as possible and prefer a USA above an England model. But not so early its either unaffordable or has less use like lacking the frog adjustment screw which I find extremely handy at times.

@karlley: the sweat heart logo indicates already around 1920 USA model. Very good (and collectable :roll: )

Waterhead 37 - that link is v.useful - dated the plane between 1925 and 1928.

T Nimble - looks like I struck lucky on the bay. I actually purchased it from the States, with p&p cost £35. Needs a new rear handle, but apart from that is in pretty good nick.

Cheers

Karl

I second going for Record - darker rather than royal blue - and if at all possible get a Stay Set, or get a Clifton stayset back iron replacement. But what do I know, I've been doing this 5 minutes myself!

tnimble":1r3ic4wa said:
I always shoot for the as early as possible and prefer a USA above an England model.

All England Stanley's are comparitively late - it's not a country thing, it's an age thing vis a vis quality.

BugBear

Tom,

If you go for Record, try to get one with a frog like the one on the right in this picture

eada516f.jpg

They were made like that until the late 1960s. The more recent ones have a frog like the one on the left in the picture and are generally not so good.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks lurker those links are great. Those holtley planes are superb I'd be scared to use it.

I think a run to Inchture on the bike would be a very nice day out.

Regarding the Record planes does the same age criteria apply?

bugbear":y5sisgja said:
tnimble":y5sisgja said:
I always shoot for the as early as possible and prefer a USA above an England model.

All England Stanley's are comparitively late - it's not a country thing, it's an age thing vis a vis quality.

BugBear

OK. What it the general period for the English models then? I do have a no 5 but have not tried to date it yet really. I still need to clean it up actually.

An no I'm not thinking to sell the no 5 to shop it for a no 5 USA to match the other (all v and sweathheart models). Actually I'm in doubt for some weeks now about getting a no 7 or a 607 though al others are bailey type plabes.

Back