how old is old enough for stanley planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haggisbasher":10eynuzs said:
thnaks Paul

would anyone care to comment on this

ebay link

as far as i can tell from the pics its an earlier model with the straight sided frog and the darker paint.

Thanks
Tom

Looks fine, but i'm no expert on Record nor on stanley really. I only know how to use them (after years of having learnt to use them the wrong way at school (not a fine woodworking education) but after a eye openiner finding them more useful every day), own a few old planes myself, and know a few guys who are very deep on the slope of collecting them.

haggisbasher":3t0l8x0e said:
thnaks Paul

would anyone care to comment on this

ebay link

as far as i can tell from the pics its an earlier model with the straight sided frog and the darker paint.

Thanks
Tom

Hmm. Even at starting price, that's 15 quid with postage.

As far as one can tell from 2 small photos of a fully assembled tool, it looks OK. The sharp upper corners on the blade indicate an older model.

Can't tell much else from the pictures.

BugBear

hey bugbear

Is that hmm good or hmm bad. if you think its dear is it dear in general or just for taking a chance on ebay. Any is=dea of a guide price.

thanks
Tom

Hi Tom

I think that with any purchase off e-bay, you are taking a risk. The most important part - the sole - may be in poor condition (convex, concave or the dreaded wind!).

It's a judgement call. You have to decide how much money you are willing to spend on an item which may end up in the bin! I recently sold (on e-bay) a 70's/80's Stanley No 5 fitted with a Samurai blade, and had flattened the sole on a surface plate. The plane was in pretty much perfect condition and went for £63 plus p&p. That may give you some kind of a guide.

Just my thoughts.....

Cheers

Karl

Any of the threads could be stripped, the blade could be soft, a frog hold down bolt could be missing...

I wouldn't go over 35 quid for #5, price "at my door"

BugBear

I paid £20 for the Record #05 Stay-set, which is the one on the right hand side in the picture I posted above. I reckon that was a fair price. It was from a second-hand tool shop. The plane was an ex-school plane, covered in horrible green paint, but was mechanically in good condition. You will often see people asking far more but I wouldn't pay over about £25. A Record or Stanley, of whatever age, is never going to be as good as a Clifton, Lie Nielsen or Veritas so I wouldn't pay over the odds for one.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back