How many gigabytes needed to store a DVD movie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,

There are currently two sizes of DVD in use, 4.7Gb and 9Gb, the disc may not be full so you might not need the full size on the hard drive.

johnelliott":1sn8n4mk said:
on a computer?

Just an average would do
TIA

John

Ballpark:

6-9 Gb average 8.5GB

4.7 Gb per side of DVD, most movies are double sided DVD.

Can be compressed to half size with no discernable loss on 'average' telly.

It's fascinating to note the way that commercial DVDs are designed to defeat copyright violation: A classic example of an ams race. First came basic encryption, which was cracked by a Norwegian:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3341211.stm

So the response was, in part, to add all those free 'extras' that now appear with most discs - thus making the DVD larger than would fit on a standard commercially available DVD available to the consumer...

So the hackers responded with a variety of programmes for stripping out all the extras - and even compressing the main film, in order to get it back down to a suitable size. Wonder what'll happen next?

Perhaps reasonable prices so that copying films and software becomes not worthwhile?

Hah! It would be nice, wouldn't it... Always reminds me of a presentation from a rather pleased with himself senior BT bod that I attended a few years ago. After he'd finished telling us all how wonderful BT was, someone asked why we couldn't have free local calls, like they do in most of the US. He rather arrogantly replied along the lines of 'well, I don't think you'll find many business models that can make a success out of offering their service for free', in a patronising 'you don't understand' sort of way. Someone else immediately piped up with 'hmm, you better tell that to ITV and all the commercial radio stations out there, matey!!'

I just look at the cost of buying Autocad or MS Office. Bill Gates has 16 Billion in his charity fund and has a personal income greater than the GDP of Syria. I suppose he needs the money! :lol:

Back