How long to leave it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbo614

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a door new from (ahem) Wickes. Solid pine/whitewood. After I had cut it down, added hinges and offered it up to the frame, I realised it has a 1/4-3/8" bow in in it. Looks awful.

So I have laid it out and added weight to bow it in the opposite direction about the same amount.

Question how long to leave it like this? Or am I wasting my time?

TIA.

Attachments

• Door.jpg
    Door.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 360
My experience with bowed stiles is that a bow always comes back, timber is definitely memory concsious. You could try some heat on the convex side but a bowed stile probably isnt related to moisture content, more tension in the timber.

I think I would speak nicely to wickes.
Technically I think they could say you should have checked before working on it.

That door looks the same as the ones I hung last year (all ten of them!).
They were clearly well dried so like Robin says I think the twist will return even if you bend it out.

> Collect or deliver.

I collected it and it was over a month probably 6 weeks ago. I was going to "live with it" so I have also done the knotting and primer. Then what with Christmas etc. etc. I didn't get to finish the painting. But today looking at it I decided I would try and straighten it. Probably stretching it to ask them to take it back even tho' thay are normally pretty good.

I'm going to leave the window open in the room so maybe some moisture gets added but it won't be a lot now it's primed. I'll see what it's like in the morning.

Thanks for the replies, even if they aren't hopeful :(

katellwood":2tlt6e2z said:
If the bow is in the hinge side can you not pull it out with a third central hinge thereby the door lining/frame will pull out the bow

Now that's an idea, yes I could do that. Might be fun getting it on, on the other hand if I can even temporarily get the bow out while I get the hinges on it would make life easier. Thanks.

timbo614":rn0nzldr said:
...if I can even temporarily get the bow out while I get the hinges on it would make life easier. Thanks.

You primed it which would suggest it's being painted?

Screw a length of angle-iron to the door?

timbo614":91zixp2y said:
> Collect or deliver.

I collected it and it was over a month probably 6 weeks ago. I was going to "live with it" so I have also done the knotting and primer. Then what with Christmas etc. etc. I didn't get to finish the painting. But today looking at it I decided I would try and straighten it. Probably stretching it to ask them to take it back even tho' thay are normally pretty good.

I'm going to leave the window open in the room so maybe some moisture gets added but it won't be a lot now it's primed. I'll see what it's like in the morning.

Thanks for the replies, even if they aren't hopeful :(

How was it stored in this time?

timbo614":mumagfz7 said:
katellwood":mumagfz7 said:
If the bow is in the hinge side can you not pull it out with a third central hinge thereby the door lining/frame will pull out the bow

Now that's an idea, yes I could do that. Might be fun getting it on, on the other hand if I can even temporarily get the bow out while I get the hinges on it would make life easier. Thanks.

Its easy as the door is usually hung at 90 degrees to the frame the hinges are pretty much in line (assuming the edge of the stile is straight)

Stormer1940":23z706xh said:
How was it stored in this time?

It was on its hinges on the door door frame. So I know it came like that. As I said I was going to live with it then thought again today that I mght be able to straighten it.

In conclusion I put an extra hinge on it. It looks fine now when it is closed.

Thanks to katellwood for the suggestion.

Just for future reference, if anyone is buying doors from the sheds, always sort through them and eye down them to check for flat. They tend to stack them in a pile which isn't ideal. I always put a pair and a half of hinges on doors as a matter of course, it's good practice. Another trick is to take a rebate plane to the frame and slightly bow the rebate in line with the door but that can come back to haunt you if you fit different doors in the future. Not recommended if the door is badly bowed but will cater for slight discrepancies. Also, when you get the doors home, do not lean them against a wall stood upright for any length of time.

Back