How long is a wood chuck stuck if a wood chuck won't be unstuck?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auldfart2010

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh b*gger! It's on real tight
I've tried a hammer with all my might
Then I reluctantly turned to Google
Now my head is full of noodles
Blood, sweat and almost tears
Time to open a couple of beers
All this hassle and palaver
My thoughts are all a lather
Can we fix it?
Yes we can!
Penetrating oil by the can
Must be patient, must be calm
lest I do myself a harm
I will not succumb to the angle grinder
Ah, the men in white coats, my mental minders
So off to the Happy Farm I slide
At least I tried, and tried, and tried.

Is this just a wee ditty or relief from a job not going well?

So many skinned knuckles over the years from "Must be patient, must be calm, lest I do myself a harm"

Sorry about this
"How much wood would a woodchuck chuck
if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
He would chuck, he would, as much as he could,
and chuck as much wood as a woodchuck would
if a woodchuck could chuck wood."

If you have a hollow spindle, then put a solid metal rod inside just under the diameter of the spindle bore and with a good-sized hammer (not a pin or lightweight hammer" give it some steady blows - should move it.
Edit
Just reread the OP I had assumed it was a Jacobs chuck or drive centre - if it's a screwed-on item then follow Robbo3 guidance. In the past I once had to put a large/long stilsons onto the spindle as the only way of holding/locking it as I was worried about breaking the spindle lock then the wood across the chuck jaws and in that case used the stilsons and the wood turned against each other to unscrew it - that why long stilsons and wood.

Last edited:
To remove a stuck chuck the normal remedy is to place a longish piece of wood across the jaws, lock the spindle then hit the wood with a mallet. If the lathe doesn't have a spindle lock or spanner flats then the job becomes much harder in that you have to find a way to stop the spindle rotating eg with a boa grip

Boa Grip.jpg

Even a hollow spindle can cause problems if not properly clean as I found out. To get the drive centre out of the headstock I had to move the lathe away from the wall & use all my strength with a 2 1/2llb lump hammer just because I hadn't cleaned out the morse taper properly when the lathe was new.

Very poetique, but it would help if we knew what we are dealing with?

What lathe is it?

Is what's stuck on the headstock threaded drive or the morse taper?

Does the lathe have a hollow drive shaft, flats on the drive shaft or a spindle lock?

What exactly is stuck?

They would at least give a start for possibilities of removing the off-ending article

I went out this morning and it freed off. There was about a match heads worth of sawdust on the threads, that's all it took to lock the threads.
granny1.gif

When the chuck is reluctant to move on my Record CL1 I put te tool rest by the drice shaft, put the Record shaft spanner on the shaft flats, the chuck key in one of the chuck adjust holes and using a soft faced hammer just give the chuck key a gentle BASH and unscrew it. Being a lazy awd git I actually put the lathe motor in reverse once it's free and it screws itself off :cool:

Latest posts

Back