How I use Sketchup to help me design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rileytoolworks

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share a few quick pics of concept drawings.
I use these to hep me refine things virtually before committing to prototypes. (Of which there are usually many)

I often don't bother with real textures, these are simply to help with the mechanics of how a tool will function.
Thanks for looking.
Adam.

Keep trying mate.
I found I got to a point where it just started to click.
Once I was confident, I was hooked.
I use Autocad and CNC programming software in my day job, but in my opinion nothing beats Sketchup for its ease of use and accessibility.

There are some great tutorials on Youtube.
All the best.
Adam.

I agree with Adam. Once you get the hang of it. Its surprising what you can churn out. But like Adam, i used to use AutoCAD at work and still dabble with it. But for speed and concept design its brill. You need to do a few tutorials and keep at it.

Here's another simple sketch, with grain applied (note the end grain).
To get the grain to follow the curves of the body, I imported a JPEG of the grain, and set it as a projected texture.

Adam.

partsandlabour":3n7b1vgj said:
I use it for all sorts of builds too but have yet to get fancy with the textures. Are you using a plugin to render the chrome look on the tube?

Cheers

Sorry for the late reply.
The chrome material is a Kerkythea material. (SU's free to download rendering software - though others are available).

Adam.

Back