how fast should the disk of a random orbit sander spin ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanvdH

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a new random orbit sander, the small festool one, and was wondering how fast the disk should spin. In my memory the disk of my old machine, a bosch spun much faster, but that one did not have a brake system. I used the sander on surfaces with various curvature and using only little pressure, but the disk doesn't spin that fast. Is this normal?

Thanks and regards,

Duncan

I assume it has variable speed ? Try turning the dial that says 1-6 :D

With the better quality machines the brake effectively reduces the ability of the disk to freewheel - in other words if the brake id working it shouldn't spin that much. Sounds about rigt to me

Scrit

They do spin a little (at least both my Festos do, and the blue Bosch I used to have did a wee bit as well), but they don't run up to 1,000 rpm or more - which would probably indicate that the brake band was failing. My understanding is that the brake is supposed to be a freewheel brake and should make little or no difference once the sander has been applied to the worksurface. It's main function is to prevent gouging when the machine is applied to the material.

Scrit

I use a cheapo Parkside ROS from LIDL, I think it's grand and would recommend it for certain types of work (i.e flat sanding on bench)... I will check the speed and report back next week.

Your Festool presumably has variable speed? Is it 'slow' on the fastest setting? I'd imagine it works well as Festool are well regarded.

I checked a large Festool catalogue I have and the speeds given are...

RAS 115.04 E --- 1350 to 3800 (min -1)
RAS 180.03 E-AH ---- 550 to 2650 (min -1)

Cheers
Joe

Well, it works fine, but I chose this model for overhead work on the bottom of my boat.Most likely the 150 mm models are more powerfull. The 125 is for overhead work OR small areas. However, I am dealing with a large AND overhead area...

I was sanding some epoxy filler and the dust collection with the ct-22 is that good you cant even smell it. Unfortunately, I had to do some areas by hand and got my shirt dirty...

Joe90":25170lkn said:
Your Festool presumably has variable speed? Is it 'slow' on the fastest setting? I'd imagine it works well as Festool are well regarded.

I checked a large Festool catalogue I have and the speeds given are...

RAS 115.04 E --- 1350 to 3800 (min -1)
RAS 180.03 E-AH ---- 550 to 2650 (min -1)

Those are rotary sanders I think, not RASs.

My Rotex spins mentally in rotary sanding mode, and maybe at 1 to 10 rpm in RAS mode. Any spin of the disks in RAS mode is kind of accidental, friction in the mechanism etc.

[-X The rules are quite clear i think , rule 7a part 0;1 You cant mention boat on UKW without posting a pic of the said boat . :lol:

JFC":2806g2ei said:
[-X The rules are quite clear i think , rule 7a part 0;1 You cant mention boat on UKW without posting a pic of the said boat . :lol:

My boat and me on a ( actually this) Sunday afternoon.
boatandme.jpg

She is a 24 ft plywood sailboat built from a kit ( by an unknown and moderately talented woodworker) in 1976, and suffered from a number of very poorly made repairs by her previous owner. I have replaced a lot during the last four years she has been on the dry, including the teak deck and sub-deck, and re-replaced about a square meter of the bottom.

Still loads of work. At least the transom is finished :D
transom.jpg

Thanks to all for the help with my sander !

Back