How do you store your planes and other hand tools?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bluekingfisher":2k5stkak said:
Never enough room, never enough room.

The large tool cab is mainly 18mm BB ply.

The Plane tills are hardwood (recycled from our old conservatory).

David

Now I know why Axminster have never got any Veritas tools in stock!!!..................................................

You've got them all :wink: 8) :)

Excellent tool storage there 8)

kocknock, that's really nice and ingenious.

Still a bit too large for my working space, but there are plenty of good ideas to pick in there. Thank you.

G.

Here are a few pics of my storage. The workshop is half a double garage (although my wife says my sense of half is understated). All cabinets are just Pine and Jarrah trim. Nothing special. I like to keep the tools most used close by. Measuring tools (gauges, knives, squares) hang on the wall behind the bench. There are machines at the other end of the workspace, with everything for handwork down this end ...

Old picture - hence tidy - probably taken shortly after building the new bench (about 3 years ago) ..

8_zps2cbbd7a2.jpg

A more up-to-date pic: two sets of planes, one wood and one metal ...

1a_zpshv7psn9i.jpg

The left corner has cabinets for spokeshaves, braces, router planes, ploughs and saws ...

3_zps8d9b0350.jpg

We should all post a picture of "what is on your bench now". I am still building drawers for my chest and having to shape the fronts first ..

2a_zpsr3knvswv.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

I've been experimenting lately with storage in a cardboard box and a label that says "ebay" on it. There are a lot more places in the united states to put the half of my tools that I never use than there are under my roof.

(the rest that get used infrequently are in a dry area on shelves, and the ones that are used often are in a garage not on shelves - they get used often enough that rust isn't an issue, except for chisels, which are stored in a wall hanger - and those probably wouldn't rust either).

Hi David

Thanks, yes .. back in the luvely heat. Almost too hot in the workshop.

I should mention that I did bring home a couple of tools. Nothing to shout about, but more than I was expecting.

At the Camden Antique Market I came across perhaps the only tool in good condition and going cheaply - a Rabone-Chesterman #57 folding 24" steel rule. One side metric and the other imperial ...

4Rabone-Chesterman57_zps6dqtp55c.jpg

Then, in Oxford, just walking down a side street, my eye was caught by the sight of the name Marples in the window. I had to investigate. It turned out to be a little shop, Objects of Use, selling tools. I came away with some Swedish carving knives ...

5a-carving_zpsfaeml32b.jpg

Tomorrow I am back at work. Ugh.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I see that nobody has thought to cover saws under the 'other hand tools' heading. Here's a suggestion for how to make the most effective use of all the space at your disposal:

20151129_114306_zps6xglsric.jpg

probably takes him longer to find the moulding plane than to actually make the moulding :shock:

I believe Ken Hawley has the most ingenious solution... Amass so many tools and documents that you can persuade a university and a museum to team up and give you a large warehouse and gallery in which to store them all, due to their historical merit.

My question for that collection is if you used them, would any plane actually ever be in tune when you went to use it.

I haven't yet gotten an old plane that didn't require at least a little bit of fettling, even if it is clear that the last user was competent. And I am not by any means the type of person who will fettle a tool for no reason.

D_W":34fx95wk said:
My question for that collection is if you used them, would any plane actually ever be in tune when you went to use it.

I haven't yet gotten an old plane that didn't require at least a little bit of fettling, even if it is clear that the last user was competent. And I am not by any means the type of person who will fettle a tool for no reason.
In the picture Colin is in the process of fettling all of his planes. He started when he was 22.

Landon3_zps26a4ff8d.jpg

Back