How do you store your planes and other hand tools?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shed9

establiSHED member
Reaction score
I'm about to construct something more permanent for my growing collection of hand tools. Specifically, I need something functional for my planes and chisels - perhaps a plane till with provision for other items.

I did think of a cupboard initially but figured this was likely to be left open most of the time so kind of pointless. Plenty of images on Google for this sort of thing but wanted to ask if there was something obvious and practical (or indeed impractical) I am missing in a simple open plane till.

Any advice (and pics) appreciated.

For reference, in my current work space most of my hand tools are on benches or on shelves. It kind of works but centralising them would be better. Also, I've invested quite heavily into these items and it's only a matter of time before I damage one in this scenario.

EDIT: I know there was a recent thread on storing planes however this seemed to concentrate on planes specifically in in regards to the placement of the sole and how that affects the blade. I have no reservations in how the plane is placed and I'm mostly interested in ideas of cabinets and racks, etc.

Mine are in a metal cupboard or should I say cupboards a large tool chest in the hall and some in the living room!

But have a look here at a wall hanging chest wall-tool-chest-potential-wip-t58767.html or google Studley tool chest for some ideas.

Pete

Bluekingfisher posted some pics of a cracking plane till he made a few months ago, I'll see if I can find it.

I can't post a link but it's "Wall Hung Plane Till" in Projects, 2/9/15.

Absolutely everything in my workshop is stored in filing cabinets or cupboards. I had left over from my office clear out 6 double width two drawer (so they are low - under a metre) filing cabinets that used to be used for hanging files. These are quite cheap and readily available second hand. I have them in a run along one wall and the tops are used for standing bench mounted machines on (grinders, route rtable etc). I use lift out wooden totes for my planes, and I store them on their soles in these (as I have never chipped or danaged a blade in the entire time I have been wooodworking). Drawers are never left open and they keep the dust out and everything stays bone dry. They are also lockable.

A "till" is a shallow drawer. Sometimes a drawer within a drawer. OK for money etc, drawing implements, even saws, but not for deeper items
Keeping your things in drawers in a cupboard or chest is an original idea which I imagine has never been thought of before.

What about "boxes"?

Or "cupboards" with "shelves"?

I keep my tools on the floor under the bench in a damp patch.

I have two planes, I store them in a pair of old cut-down wellies. I'm not kidding, I saw someone do it on a fencing video once, so now I do it too.

Attachments

• plane.jpg
    plane.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,892
Traditional tool chest for me. It holds nearly everything that I use on a regular basis

DSC_0871.jpg

(sorry for the naff photo)

Jacob":2yuck0fr said:
I keep my tools on the floor under the bench in a damp patch.

Must admit, I always thought Jacob kept his tools in a pannier on his rootin' tootin' tricycle. Does explain the "damp" patch though

:)

I'm sorting my workshop space out at the moment, one thing I've done is a french cleat system behind the bench. I have the most used tools on it, and you can move things around as you want.

Of course, there's no right answer - but there are some wrong ones. Deep cupboards (think recycled wardrobe) are a no-no - things get pushed to the back of shelves behind other junk, and are never seen again. The same can happen with drawers if you're not careful.

Must admit, I do like toolchests. They're a great way to store a working kit of tools with everything readily accessible, but they have drawbacks too. They are not good at storing duplicate tools, or expanding collections (unless they are just used as stores, and not for working from), and they don't really like storing power tools.

There's another couple of don'ts with toolchests, which I learned the hard way. My first chest was designed and built about ten years BS (Before Schwarz). It's huge - designed hold more than a basic kit. It's too deep - getting at some tools in the bottom of the chest strains the back. About 24" is a sensible maximum depth, I think. The biggest design failure was with the tills (or trays), which are about 11" wide and 9" deep, and full length of the chest. One holds the benchplanes, and some other bits and bats. In order to access the bottom of the chest, it has to be lifted out. A long, thin box with seven or eight planes it (even though some of them are quite small) weighs a lot more than is desirable to lift whilst stretching forward over the chest - don't do it, folks! Sooner or later, you'll put your back out! The sliding trays of the 'traditional' chest design are a far better solution.

Lesson - heavy planes are best placed where they can be picked up individually. DON'T be tempted by any storage method that requires several to be lifted at once. There's a lot to be said for placing them on shelves in a cupboard of shallow depth, or neatly arranged in the bottom of a traditional toolchest, or even - as Bob Wearing did in his workshop - hanging side by side by their front knobs from a loop of cord attached to a batten screwed to a (wood-lined) wall near the bench.

I don't see the point of tool chests unless you are expecting to move around a lot with your tools, like a ships carpenter etc. Even then they are not really "on site" portable, for which the suitcase type is a lot better.
What's wrong with just any old cupboards, chests of drawers etc? Best if they close to keep dust out, but other than that almost anything will do.
I've got several bits n bobs of junk furniture for mine, plus space under the bench.

A chest with a full kit of tools isn't that portable. Even the pared-down kit in the suitcase type joiner's site box makes quite a heavy lump to lug around.

Still, I can understand why you don't like toolchests, Jacob. Unless they're REALLY manky and rotten, they won't have a damp patch!

I use a tool chest for storing my most used stuff, it has two tills so thing like marking tools, gauges and less used chisels go in those, in the bottom is space for planes and saws. All my bench planes live under the bench on a shelf, my chisels live in a tool roll on the bench at all times, I have a small rack on the wall where I store some mortice chisels, a couple of gauges and a birdcage awl. All my saws live in a till with a drawer for saw sharpening tools. I have a highish shelf above my bench that I keep moulding planes on. I also have various hooks/nails in the walls that thing hang on, directly in front of my eyes I have a magnetic rail what I keep things like steel rules on as these seem to always disappear in shavings.

My storage situation is a little different to others as in the winter all my tools come out of the garage and into the house.

Matt

I have a traditional woodworking bench with aprons, I made a selection of draws that are built into the bench to store all of my saws, planes and generally used tools. The extra weight helps keep the bench rock solid (not that it needed it) but it also makes it far more time consuming to pinch everything. No one can lift up and run off with the bench. Under or by the side if each machines screwed or bolted down I have a draw unit that keeps everything stored with individual compartments for every tool. It makes it easy to see what if anything is missing at the end of the day. The draws help keep out condensation and reduce rust to zero. I haven't added locks since a thief can easily break into a locked draw if they got into the building. I've worked on it taking time to get everything out and also not provide a means of easily holding them to take them away. May not be ultimately effective, but it's a precaution I could take so did.

Cheshirechappie":2s48rp46 said:
A chest with a full kit of tools isn't that portable.......
It's portable like a packing case if you are moving lock stock and barrel as artisans of old often did. Also relatively secure if you are sharing work space. But otherwise not a good storage solution.

Latest posts

Back