How do you store your Festool guide rails?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
After reading the"cheapest place to buy Festool" post last week. I checked out the recommended website which trades as Nuts and Bolts.
The prices were very reasonable I thought and so bought a TS55 which came with a 1.4m rail for £325. Another 3m guide rail and a pair of 120mm clamps for the rails. Total was £522 minus my £50 voucher which makes a total of £472, which is all up £20 less than the list price of a TS55 by itself. :D
They were delivered today and I now need a safe and easily accessible way to store them, particularly the 3m beastie which is humongous.
Any advice or pictures of your solutions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Howie

I bought the jumbo set with the extractor which included a bag for the guide rails so mine are kept in there. Not got them to hand but if I remember theres holes in for hanging up on the wall? Would love to have seen the couriers face carrying a 3m box down your path.

The 3000 rail is easy to store if you cut it in half - festool sell joining connectors that you can then use to put it back together again - simples.

I just keep my 2700 hanging on the wall in my workshop well supported so it doesn't bend. I keep my two 1400's and an 800 in the old style festool bag , for site use.

I keep a 1.4m rail hanging from a dowel glued into a piece of mdf which sits on a french cleat system on the wall. The 2.7m one came in a softwood and hardboard "box", I removed all the staples from the top, the drilled for 2 dowels to keep the top on. The box is then put up on top of two of the beams that span the workshop. I'll try and remember to take and post some photos at the weekend, which would explain better than I have done here.

I've been wading through some of Askwoodman's videos on youtube, hes a festool convert and keeps his rails and clamps/bits in a double sided plywood box that he made. Looked a neat solution.

Thanks for the responses so far chaps.
I have recently moved home and have upgraded from my old single garage workshop to a double garage workshop with a second floor loft you can walk around in. I have some big plans in my head on making it into my ultimate fortress of solitude. A major part of this plan is to try to only purchase high quality tools to last me out for the next 25 years or for as long as I have my eyes, no back pain and all my fingers. :wink:
In the mean time I have set everything up temporarily so I can get on with some projects. SWMBO wants a new handmade kitchen etc etc.
I guess I will just make up a temporary shelf to support them for now.
I have tried to find askwoodmans video on the guide rail storage box but no luck so far..... Anyone know where I can find it?
Cheers
Howie

The only thing that looked like it might be the one, is his series on how to make plywood boxes?

Thanks Carl
When I have a spare weekend I might watch them, all 64 of them! Must be some fancy plywood boxes.
Howie

Thats what i thought. I don't mind helping people, but i wasn't going to sit through all those videos. :roll: Wouldn't be so bad but they are not short vids he makes either. :shock:

OK, so this is what I have done temporarily. I just couldn't bare the idea of damaging the rails from leaving them laying around while I dithered over finding a neater solution.

I saw that other people had solved the problem by using the box the rail came in so I did this:

Fix one side of the rail box at an angle into the box.
Festoolshelf 001.jpg

Festoolshelf 002.jpg

Then I altered slightly my "temporary long stuff" rack to accommodate the 3000mm rail box and another smaller shelf for the 1400 rail.
Festoolshelf 005.jpg

Festoolshelf 004.jpg

So problem "temporarily" solved, on to the next ............

Howie

Attachments

• Festoolshelf 001.jpg
    Festoolshelf 001.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 180
  • Festoolshelf 002.jpg
    Festoolshelf 002.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Festoolshelf 005.jpg
    Festoolshelf 005.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Festoolshelf 004.jpg
    Festoolshelf 004.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 180
I store the 2.7m length horizontally at height on metal supports off the garage ceiling. Need a ladder to get to it but keeps it safely out of the way. I then store my smaller 1.4m and 0.8m in the festool rail bag.

Hope that helps,

Paul

Back