How do you stop brakes from Squeaking?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOOGYREV

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to stop brakes from squeaking?

I have tried Blowing all the dust out with compressed air, but that didn't help much, any tips?

Presumably you mean car brakes?

They may have become glazed through repeated soft use.

They can be deglazed by a few hard braking efforts from higher speeds, this is similar to what you should do when bedding in new pads.

Yes on my van, its started turning turning a few heads now, cheers I will try that out.

DOOGYREV":167vgksg said:
Yes on my van, its started turning turning a few heads now, cheers I will try that out.

You need to deglaze the pads. Will have to come out and be rubbed down, being careful not to breath the dust in. Usually less hassle to put new pads in. I always apply some copper grease to the back of them where they touch the calipers\piston\etc.

Also helps bedding them in correctly when new as MyTurn has pointed out.

HIH

Dibs

Doogy without doubt the best way to stop brake squeal is to spread a knob of Copper Grease on the back of each pad.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":20eg2pxr said:
Doogy without doubt the best way to stop brake squeal is to spread a knob of Copper Grease on the back of each pad.

Cheers

Mike
Dittoed Mr C and, if they are of any reasonable age then, it makes sense to replace them while you're at it; and not with cheapo import ones.

Latest posts

Back