How do you sign your work?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you sign your work?

• Pyrography

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Engraving (dremel, proxxon, foredom etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pen

• Pencil

• Something else (what?)

• I don't bother.

• Total voters

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what you all use to sign or mark your work - if you do...
What do you use to write the name of the wood on the base?

I see writing on the base of lots of pieces but keep forgetting to ask how it's done...

If you use pen or pencil, what type?

I use a stabilo write-4-all pen or if I cant get them laundry pens.

I did try pyrography but prefer the pen.

john

I use pyrography which shows well against pale woods. On darker woods, I burn it deeper then infill with gilt cream so it will show as a contrast. Not that I actually put my name on my work - I just put the type of wood, the date, and the little logo I use as a signature.

The majority of our work I don't sign but for our exclusive range we initial with a pyrograph machine and put a label on with our address and website details.

Sue pyro's the name of the wood and 'Bodrighy' on the bottom of the piece (except the dolls furniture as she can't write that small :lol: )

Pete

cambournepete":3j5anr7h said:
jpt":3j5anr7h said:
I use a stabilo write-4-all pen or if I cant get them laundry pens.
At what stage of finishing do you use the pen?

Usually after the finish is applied.

I photograph the piece and then put the type of wood, the item number, the month & year and then sign it.

Yes it can come off but I also put a small sticker with my name & phone number on.

john

not having a pyro tool i've opted for a sticky label......

IMG_3992b.jpg

obviously very small items & pens have to go without.... :(

Nick

I write on the base of bowls with a narrow felt tip marker (name, date, type of wood) before any finish has been applied to the base. When the ink is dry I apply a coat or two of diluted sanding sealer over the writing.

Haven't thought of signing any other turned work, only bowls.

Jim

I use a black Bic CD permamnent marker for the lighter woods and a white Uni ball sign marker,Signo, for the darker woods,after the finish has been applied.Not that i do sign many :( :D

I just tend to pyrograph the species and provenance in items, but I use a pyrography iron that is a bit like a soldering iron and complete rubbish for writing. I've been meaning to get a better one for ages but having not seen one in the flesh haven't splashed out yet.

Dod

Hi

I don't sign my work. Some say I should but at the moment I don't.

Mainly cause my hand writing is rubbish.

Hi,

When I painted I never signed my work and I don't sign any of my turned work either.

For me, the thought and idea of signing my work is obtuse. I have no inclination to lay claim to my turnings by scribling my name on them, what's the point in it? Who care's who made it, if anything, it's got natures signature all over it and that's good enough for me.

Cheers,

Lee.

Woodturners have stamped a makers mark on thier work going right back to the Vikings. Most things I don't mark but try to put a label on if possible and last week I had to put bar codes on a lot of work for an outlet. It is very difficult to write neatly with a pyro pen so just your initials would be fine.
It is a good idea to have a signature style or look that makes you stand out as all the top artists and designers do.

Latest posts

Back