How do I sharpen pencils with long leads?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowSteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

Not sure if this is the right forum, but it seems the most fitting I think.

When I look at youtube videos of the master craftsman types - John Bullar, Paul Sellars etc, I notice that they have somehow sharpened their pencils with very long points, which makes things like marking into dovetails much easier.

Is there a trick to doing this? I seem to keep breaking the leads when sharpening with a knife, and they are much longer than a regular pencil sharpener produces

Steve

use a knife for marking out- much easier IMHO.

use the pencil where less accuracy is required- roughly cutting to length.

At a guess, I'd say You probably have too soft a lead in the pencil!
Get some Staedlers, too hard won't mark and too soft don't last and break. this is the small ones we had in school
2 h seems to be a good all rounder, and get at least 4 at a time!
The so called "carpenters pencil" The flat Staedler , is also available in different grades not quite so useful, I find.
After a while, the Kids will buy you loads at Christmas! (then you can't find them!)
Regards Rodders

Yes 2H for precision, HB for general use, 2B for rough sawn.
If you buy different brands for each grade you then have them colour coded.
I don't use a knife at all (for marking) except for those few cuts which are best started with a knife cut, or the corner of a chisel. Best avoided IMHO.
(But I do use a knife for pencil sharpening.)

I've tried everything to get the perfect pencil lead...from useless gadgets like bits that go in the chuck of your drill to the electric version of what Mouppe just linked above. I'm with wizard on this, belt sander is just right for me. Twizzle the pencil as you go and the angle you hold it at determines how long the point is (how far back the wings are ground :)

However...as a pencil sharpener.......lets be honest...its a bit of a luxury. Other substitutes include the ubiquitous stanley knife and of course a well sharpened chisel. (For sharpening and marking out in fact)

A smoothing plane turned upside down. Hold the pencil at the required angle and draw it backwards in strokes, turning as you go. Touch up with sand paper a few times until a re- sharpen is required.
Tudor

If hollow grinding a pencil, should I use a 6" grinder or do I need an 8"? What grit wheel should I use?

Steve

Sounds like your knife isn't sharp enough to cut the lead with out putting too much pressure on it.

Pete

83ab33b7.jpg

A woodwork forum and two pages (so far) puzzling over pencil sharpening! :roll:
I suppose you could always ask a friendly woodworker to do it for you, if it's still a problem

Personally I would recommend roughing the point out with a Stanley style knife followed by the scary sharp method, ending with a secondary bevel using a 6000 grit water stone.
In my opinion never hollow grind a pencil, the strength in the lead will be affected, with the exception of a Japanese pencil which always has a slight hollow grind, but that's to do with the 5 part laminated damascus graphite I guess.

Back