How do I cut a cone shape?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex2662

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to cross cut a cone shape (snooker cue) straight on a bandsaw, does anybody have any advice on how i could do this??

Thanks

Hi,

You need to make a wedge the same slope as your cue to level it.
Probably with a grove in to hold the cue, and watch out for the cue spinning if the blade snags, a clamp wood be a good idea.

Pete

Hi

Surely the way to do this is to angle the bandsaw table to a degree that 'levels' the centreline of the cue - no jigs required.

Regards Mick

can you clamp it to a sacrificial flat piece, so that it cant spin rather than just hoping that it wont?

Can't see how angling the table will help - it's the same as rotating the piece surely? What you're aiming for is a way of holding the piece at a slight angle to the fence - not the blade.

For a long taper like that I would first rip a piece of mdf slightly longer than the cue (or portion of if you're making it in sections) and about 100-150mm wide. Then using a straightedge guide set at the required taper angle rout a groove close to the edge of your ripped piece for you blank to sit in, then add appropriate clamps to prevent it turning during the cut (which IMO it almost certainly will want to). Insert the blank into the groove/dado (it doesn't really matter what - it's just a slot of some sort to locate the blank) and run the whole caboodle through the bandsaw against the fence multiple times, rotating slightly between cuts.

I think the term "cross cut" was mentioned. So I'm guessing that he has the cue, but wants to make it shorter.
This would seem to be borne out by the previous answers and their joyous reception.

john you are correct i did want to cross cut the cue, i will plane the taper in the wood.

thanks for your help.

Back