How did they do that? Stamp their names on tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodN

Established Member
Reaction score
I suppose that we all have the odd vintage tool hanging around. On the old wooden planes, squares and chisel handles, etc. the gentlemen of old just about always stamped their name somewhere on the wood.

But how did they do that?
Did they have a stamp specially made for themselves?
Can it still be done?

vintage1.jpg

Rod

Yes Rod they did used to have their own specially made stamps, and I would presume that you could get one made today.

Dennis

...or you can make a jig to take standard alpha-numeric punches like those available from machine mart for a few quid. The key is to make a sliding socket for the punch and a lead screw to move it along after each letter, we used to do that on some very expensive bits of metal without any problems

Aidan

I had one made to order by Tiranti's about 15 years ago when they were in Theale.
http://www.tiranti.co.uk/
They have moved down the road to Thatcham, nowadays, but I recall it cost about £30 in those days and took a couple of weeks to get made.
It's a hardened steel punch with your name in relief.

Worth it.

Damn... I can't keep anything quiet from the guru.
I'll give you one clue Pete...

Neck blocks :lol:

Rod

Another way is to weld / silver solder a couple of alpha numeric punches (they cost abot nothing at some places) together. If I remember correctly Philly has posted this a while ago. Thought is was about the Philly Planes plane logo (moving fillister ?)

I had mine made in the late 50's, a local tool shop got it made , it is a steel casting I think it cost me about ten bob in the real money(50p now)

Back