How can I make my doors a lighter finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutting42

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

This is related to my door stripping and finishing thread here.

I have done a test side of a door and while I am happy with the procedure and general finish, it has come out too dark for my taste even with a clear sealer and wax. (more coats to go on yet)

IMG_1611.jpg

Before I go buying loads of different finishes, can anyone assist with some advice on how to do this. Will a coloured wax such as a honey or warm colour just further darked or can it lift the shade a touch?

I have seen wood bleach but this seems like a lot of work and I do have 12 doors to do.

Help please?

Hi Gareth,

Sorry the SSS/Wax didn't give you the appearance you were after.

Are you happy with the shade of the timber after wiping the bare surface with a damp cloth of water? If so, then use a single pack waterbased finish like Aquacoat SP. It will give the same appearance as water and will not alter coulour over time, It is very hard wearing and available in matt,satin & gloss finishes.

If you're not happy with the water look then use wood bleach is the only option left, as you say it is quite a bit of work and you'll need to take extra care around the glass as it will be etched should any of the [/url=https://vault2.secured-url.com/frenchpolishes/acatalog/Bleach.html] Vitableach [/url] get on it.

I hope this helps

Ian

Woodfinish Man":2xx0tcbc said:
Hi Gareth,

Sorry the SSS/Wax didn't give you the appearance you were after.

Are you happy with the shade of the timber after wiping the bare surface with a damp cloth of water? If so, then use a single pack waterbased finish like Aquacoat SP. It will give the same appearance as water and will not alter coulour over time, It is very hard wearing and available in matt,satin & gloss finishes.

If you're not happy with the water look then use wood bleach is the only option left, as you say it is quite a bit of work and you'll need to take extra care around the glass as it will be etched should any of the [/url=https://vault2.secured-url.com/frenchpolishes/acatalog/Bleach.html] Vitableach [/url] get on it.

I hope this helps

Ian

Hi Ian

Actually I love the finish that SSS and wax gives and so does SWIMBO it is just down to the fact that the wood is a little dark even with plain water on it. I have done a second door and it is much lighter and acceptable so I might just see which ones are darker and bleach those. Thanks for the help so far.

Back