How big - New double garage (workshop)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John McM

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at renovating and extending our cottage. Part of that means extricating it from the bank! There is a large space at the top side that is unused. As part of the terracing/landscaping I see the opportunity to add a large double garage. What is the ideal size and shape for a workshop. I'm thinking in the region of 24' x 27'. Also what's the best material to build from. Rendered blockwork? Here are a few piccies to show the tricky position

Front view
Cottage-planning002.jpg

Side
Cottage-planning004.jpg

Side from rear
Cottage-planning005.jpg

What makes the perfect workshop?

Sorry to state the obvious. But make it as big as you can afford\get permission. You'll always use the space and it'll always retain value on the house. No one wants a lump of mud and grass next to their house ;)

John,

the smallest you can sensibly make a double garage is 5.5m x 5.5m. Anything less and you can't open the car doors easily.

Now, I'm not sure what you have in mind for that bank, but that isn't DIY territory. Building on top of it or cutting it away to build at lower level are both serious structural jobs, and you absolutely will have to have a structural engineer on board, without question.

As soon as you have a structural engineer you will have massive amounts of structure........such is the nature of the beast. It is usually an architect's job to rein the engineer in, explore alternative solutions with him, and prevent the job turning into a version of the channel tunnel!

So, I'm afraid that this won't be a cheap building.

Mike

So Mike, are you saying that the side of the house will be damaged if he was just to have it all scooped out?

No Tom, the house isn't the issue.

If you scoop all that lot out you will have a bank/wall of earth to hold up that could be 10 feet high. It looks like there is a road the other side of the hedge......so a 10 foot retaining wall that would have to cope with the road loads & vibrations.......that is going to get really serious. At a complete guess that could be 2' to 2'-6" of reinforced concrete, with a return underneath. Another complete guess.....but that could easily be £15k to £25k just to make the hole and hold up the banks.

Mike

If this was my house, I wouldn't hesitate in digging the site out around the house. The house is crying out for space and light, and any work could only benefit the site as a whole, and in my opinion add value to the property. Obviously there are many factors to take into account on a project of this scale, and as Mike has said, a structural engineer is going to be essential, as is an architect.
Subject to any planning issues relating to the site, underground services and any tree preservation orders, I personally would hit the site very hard and excavate pretty much as far back to the hedge line as is practically possible.
The cost of building the retaining wall is going to be an immense cost issue, as is the soil removal which estimated from your photo, could be about 350 plus cubic metres. Without knowing your current parking arrangements, if you don't have vehicular access to that side from the highway, another hassle could be getting permission for a crossover from the road to your new driveway.

edit.. I forgot to add that it looks a very nice house. :) I love a challenge. :)

d'oh didn't think about the other side of the lump. Sounds spendy.......

Chaps, you're right, it's a big job and I'm not looking at diy. We're planning a 2 storey extension and a garden room at the back of the house anyway.

instead of this
cottage082.jpg

As part of that, I am looking at extricating the bank to have a path at ground level 1m wide all the around the house, a 1m high retaining wall, then terracing the bank with another path and wall. Instead of more terraces, I could take the top off the bank and build the garage as part of that landscaping. We're on solid chalk. On the other side of the hedge is just a track that goes up to my neighbours and down to the lane.

Track
cottage089.jpg

As it happens on the far side of the track is an old chalk pit that he owns.
He will kindly let me put the chalk in there so I don't need to take it away.

Don't worry I realize the need for an architect and structural surveyor.

Cheers

Back