Horizon and losing weight

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't have a telly, but I do occasionally watch things on iPlayer. One such prog was Michael Mosley on Horizon a few weeks ago. He's about my age and has made a rather better fist of life than I have. He's made several progs about lifestyle and health (I rather like his idea of exercising for just 20 seconds at a time :) )
This particular one was about patterns of eating and metabolism. It's been known for a long time that people who eat only just enough to stay alive live to be a thousand years old. We in the west die from overeating (heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke etc), whereas people who have little food rarely die from these diseases. They may die from other unpleasant causes, but not the same as us.
Anyway, to cut to the chase, one such solution is to restrict one's calorific input for 2 days a week to 600 calories. That is not very much, I can tell you. And given that I enjoy cooking as well as eating, it's a challenge.

But not an insurmountable one.

So I've had a few days of fasting over the last month or so. I've been a big bloke for most of the last 20years, although I wasn't particularly so until my mid-30s. When my wife left I lost weight, but over the last year I have put on 2 stones. A routine Blood Pressure test convinced me that something had to be done and I didn't really want to go onto BP tablets for the rest of my life. So the Horizon prog was very timely.

What I was particularly surprised about was the challenge of having a day of no alcohol. I drink far more than I should. I can't remember the last time I got drunk, but I have drunk some alcohol every day for years. A day off was a rarity.

But actually keeping off the pop has not been a problem. It appears I'm not alcoholic after all. That quite surprises me, to be honest. So I've not quite done the day-on-day-off regime, but I have done two or three days a week and this is the result. I lost 6lb in the first week but it's taken me another 4 weeks to do the other 6.

It's not easy, for someone who likes food and cooking, but reading the scales is quite a fillip.

Got to go, I'm cooking dinner for a Date. I must be absolutely out of my tree. Somebody pull me to my senses.
S

Well Done Steve. I am also a big guy and have been for most of my life. When I was younger did a lot of swimming and at times at the gym. But alas the pounds are still there. I saw the same program and thought the idea very interesting and also not so much of a drudge as a "diet" . Was thinking to give it a go. Keep it up.
Good luck on the date. :)
D

Hi Steve,

A "drum" round the middle creeps up on us all and bloody slowly at that. I was at the GP's earlier this year - just routine stuff and since I hadn't been in almost 5yrs, she decides to do the full monty - height, weight, blood pressure, etc. Thankfully nothing involving having my pants pulled down. :shock: :lol:

Then she (who's 5' tall and about 5' wide) announces that I'm overweight. A bit startling considering at 6' tall, I was 14.5st. I didn't think so.

Anyways - I dismissed it, but it sat in the back of my mind for some weeks, then Googling, BMI and hip\waist circumference - I realised that I was overweight - albeit not grossly.

Over the coming 3 months - I stopped eating like a pig. That was the usual MO - i.e. eat until no more would fit in and then feel uncomfortable after an hour or so & reach for the Gaviscon. I started eating portions of half the size and then waited an hour - if I still felt hungry, then I would a little more and see how that went 30-60 mins later. Very rarely did I have to eat anymore.

Over 3 months - my weight went from 14.5 stones to 12.5 stones. Waist went from 36" to 32" and tshirt from XL down to M. For the last 2 months, my weight has been more or less stable.

The gut has gone! :mrgreen:

Plan to loose another stone as 11.5st puts me bang in the middle of the BMI scale for my height. I appreciate BMI is vague and somewhat inaccurate, but its a good starting point. Bought some skin fat calipers and my body fat is about 12% now. :D

The only downside of loosing weight - is new clothes!

The last stone for me will be hard - as the body doesn't want to give up the last lot of fat. But "carb cycling" seems a good way to go.

Keep it up - it certainly is nice to take a p!ss and see the "business end" without effort - "Hello my old friend" Long time no see!" :lol:

Dibs

i also had high blood pressure and have been taking tablets for ages, i also suffer from arthritis in both knees but my left knee is the bad one, i decided i needed help to loose weight after several wasted diets so i nipped along to my local slimming world and joined, cost a tenner and £5 weekly to be weighed in and talk about what we eat/cook throughout the week.
Here i am now 12 weeks on and 1 1/2 stone lighter, it hasn't been plain sailing either but its amazing just how much you can eat and still loose weight. My knees are better and i feel so much better in myself, try it steve..

Over the years I've listened to lots of advice on diet and health, and I've come to the conclusion that most of it is either exaggerated or boloney. I don't take much notice of things like BMI; every member of the England Rugby Union squad would be classed as clinically obese by BMI. Then there's the regular scares - red meat is bad for you, some red meat is good for you; don't eat this, don't eat that, eat only the other. It's reached the point where I seriously think the medical profession is not at all sure what to believe, and anyway, I object to being nannied by patronising know-alls, some of whom clearly don't take their own advice (or if they do, it doesn't work).

Fairly recently, I have heard what I consider sensible thinking about the subject. The human species has been evolving for several hundred thousand years, and for the great majority of that time, we were hunter-gatherers. A bit of meat and fish when we could get it, nuts, berries, leaves and roots. In the last few thousand years, we've started eating grains, but we aren't really digestively evolved to cope with them completely. Only in the very recent past have processed sugars entered the diet; artificial additives even more recently. So, the thinking is to base your diet on that of a hunter-gatherer - eat fresh foods, mostly plants, with a bit of fresh meat and fish. There's no need to be obsessive about it; have a bit of a treat now and again, but not three times a day! Don't base your diet on processed foods and ready meals, cut down on the grains like bread and pasta, try and do without the processed sugars, and especially the hydrogenated and similar artificial fats. Some natural fats (like olive oil and the fats on decent meat) are OK in moderation. Don't consume excess alcohol, but enjoy a drink now and again. Eat foods in season - blackberry and apple crumble is great this time of year, asparagus in April and May, strawberries in June and so on - then there's always something to look forward to (winter and early spring can be a bit of a problem, but hey-ho).

Above all, don't get obsessive about it. Adjust to it slowly. Cut down on the naughty things a bit at a time, and in due course you find you don't want them anyway. I haven't eaten a Mars bar in years, and don't really want to any more - used to love 'em. Take some exercise by all means, but exercise burns surprisingly few calories; controlling body weight is best done by limiting what goes in, in such a way that you feel you've had enough to eat - a diet that leaves you hungry will just make you eat more in the end. It's just about eating enough, not more than enough, and eating good stuff. Oh, and enjoying eating it, too.

Edit to add - I've found the book that outlined the above; "Waist Disposal" by Dr John Briffa. Not your usual diet book. Recommended.

Cheshirechappie":ami8t7za said:
Fairly recently, I have heard what I consider sensible thinking about the subject. The human species has been evolving for several hundred thousand years, and for the great majority of that time, we were hunter-gatherers. A bit of meat and fish when we could get it, nuts, berries, leaves and roots. In the last few thousand years, we've started eating grains, but we aren't really digestively evolved to cope with them completely. Only in the very recent past have processed sugars entered the diet; artificial additives even more recently. So, the thinking is to base your diet on that of a hunter-gatherer - eat fresh foods, mostly plants, with a bit of fresh meat and fish. There's no need to be obsessive about it; have a bit of a treat now and again, but not three times a day! Don't base your diet on processed foods and ready meals, cut down on the grains like bread and pasta, try and do without the processed sugars, and especially the hydrogenated and similar artificial fats. Some natural fats (like olive oil and the fats on decent meat) are OK in moderation. Don't consume excess alcohol, but enjoy a drink now and again. Eat foods in season - blackberry and apple crumble is great this time of year, asparagus in April and May, strawberries in June and so on - then there's always something to look forward to (winter and early spring can be a bit of a problem, but hey-ho).

Above all, don't get obsessive about it. Adjust to it slowly. Cut down on the naughty things a bit at a time, and in due course you find you don't want them anyway. I haven't eaten a Mars bar in years, and don't really want to any more - used to love 'em. Take some exercise by all means, but exercise burns surprisingly few calories; controlling body weight is best done by limiting what goes in, in such a way that you feel you've had enough to eat - a diet that leaves you hungry will just make you eat more in the end. It's just about eating enough, not more than enough, and eating good stuff. Oh, and enjoying eating it, too.

You are describing my diet, I am very rarely hungry but we eat well. I do exercise on a weight machine and an exercise bike as my back won't take the real thing on French roads.

I'm 6'4" and just over 11 stone so it all works for me. The joy of eating this way is not just the effect on the weight and body generally but the flavour of fresh food. Those that eat out of supermarkets and junk probably don't remember what real food in season tastes like. Our neighbour thinks we are nuts and that the food she buys tastes the same as the food we grow but then she and her husband smoke so their taste buds are probably buggered.

Didn't see mention of the weed on here. Another reason to give it up if you indulge in such a foolish habit.

Just remember per ML orange juice has a higher calorific value than beer.

Though apparently that`s no excuse for gettig caught having a beer with your cornflakes.

So remember...try not to get caught.

Cheers.

I have struggled with my weight for about 6 years now, not so much loosing it but not being able to stop putting it on!

I have gained 3 stone in 6 years and not been able to do anything about it, then about 2 months ago I noticed I had lost 2lb so that gave me hope. I started having cornflakes for breakfast and lunch where previously I had nothing and I have lost 2 stone in 2 months!

If I can get rid of another I will be having a large four seasons pizza to celebrate :lol:

I found losing weight was the easy bit (three stone nine pounds in Twelve weeks).
Staying on target is the hardest.

I attended Slimming World with all the ladies, and enjoyed the pleasure of being the only male in class :wink: :wink:

Several pointers touched on here. What type of food that suits one person won't necessarily suit the next person. Follow up Indian Ayurvedic medicine as that philosophy addresses the three body types and what type of food suits which type.

Check out Glycemic Index http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index but again don't forget that what suits one person won't suit the next. Experiment.

BMI is a naff and inaccurate measurement especially if you go to the gym a fair bit since muscle weighs more than fat.

Thanks for the encouragement chaps, much appreciated.
On a Sunday I go walking. We usually do 7 - 10 miles.
Today, led by my mate Bloody Mac, who had not planned it properly- "I don't know quite how far it is, perhaps just a bit longer than normal - maybe 10 and a half".

10.5 my eye. 15 miles, and up hill and down dale to boot. I can hardly walk.

On the other hand, despite a pint at the end, I've just staggered in and run a bath and I am at my lowest weight for 6 months. 1 more pound and I will have lost a full stone. Even that is bigger than the sylph-like Steve you see in the films.

Trouble is I am ravenous and want to pig out.

S

Hi, Steve

Nice going, there will be nothing left of you in a few weeks!

I am over weight acording to my BMI !!!

Pete

Congrats on the weight loss Steve.

I've found that sitting at a desk all day has really caused my weight to rise but finding the time to get out and exercise is hard. Oddly enough I have no trouble losing weight but keeping it off seems like an impossible task. If I wan't to lose weight I just go on a 1000 to 1500 calorie/day diet and the weight just falls off and to boot I'm probably living longer which is a nice bonus.

BMI isn't perfect but for most people it's a pretty good and simple measure. If you are super fit, short / tall etc it doesn't give a terribly reliable figure but most people aren't like that. From what I've read the waist / hip measurement is actually the best simple predictor of health but I found that it's too difficult to measure accurately on your own.

Hi Steve

I've been following the 5:2 diet since the Horizon programme, quite successfully too :) . The weight loss is welcome but I'm hoping for the ancillary benefits that Dr Mosley mentioned rather than losing weight. I know of some good sites for fasting day recipes if you're interested - indeed, I've even devised some of my own :) .

Latest posts

Back