Honing angles on the Veritas Mk.II Honing Guide?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nads

Established Member
Reaction score
I was honing my plane blades for my bevel-up LA jack on the weekend using my Veritas Mk II and waterstones, and did the standard 25° with no problem and was very happy with the final finish! :) But when I came to do the higher angle blades the 38° & 50°, I noticed that the MK II doesn’t have a setting for 38°, and just wondered what other people do about this? Do you use either the 35° or 40° setting, or do you set the guide up somewhere in between by eye, if so how do you keep this angle the same each time you hone the blade? :?

I’d love to hear what you guys do, coz I know their must be loads of people on this forum with the same set up, of the Mk II and the LA Jack? :wink:

Thanks

Nads

Does a 35 degree secondary bevel with an additional 2 degree micro bevel (35+2 = 37 degrees) count when working out bevel angles?

cheers

George

I reckon you would need to be doing a lot of planing on extraordinarily similar boards to notice any difference between 38 and 40 degrees.

Sorry waterhead37, I think you’ve misunderstand me, or maybe I don’t phrase the question right? :oops: I want even pretend that I could notice the difference between 38 & 40 °, I was just wondering what everyone else was doing, honing at the 35 ° option or the 40° ? Maybe it doesn’t really matter? :?

Just wanted some peoples views thats all?

Cheers

Nads

Hi Nads,

I hone at 37 degrees using the 35 degree setting + 2 degrees on the eccentric roller. Must admit I was a bit surprised not to find a 38 degree setting, but as Chris says, it won't be noticeable in use anyway.

Cheers,
Neil

From the instructions for the 38° iron:
Honing the 38° Micro-Bevel

You can sharpen the high-angle blade as you would any other blade; however, a honing guide will greatly ease the task of accurately setting the micro-bevel angle before stoning. If you have the Veritas® Sharpening System (05M02.10), you can use it to set and maintain the high-angle bevel on the blade. With the guide-setting knob positioned so the indication mark is pointing up, set the blade in the angle jig for a 35° bevel. To achieve a 38° micro-bevel, adjust the roller to the highest setting by pulling out the guide-setting knob and rotating it so that the arrow points downward, then transfer the honing guide to your finishing stone. When the honed blade is installed on the 12° bed of the low-angle smooth plane, this achieves an effective cutting angle of 50°.
Just read "MkII" for "Veritas® Sharpening System (05M02.10)". Tsk, you chaps and not reading instructions... :roll: :wink:

I made the point about a lack of 38° stop when I reviewed it - it's a bit daft when LV make both things that they don't tally. :?

Cheers, Alf

Yeah Sorry Alf, I never really read the instructions when I buy something new? Maybe I should make more of a effort in the future?! :oops: So you just hone the blade at the 35° stop then, and use the mirco bevel in the highest mode, fair enough! I just thought it was a bit strange, as you said Alf that LV make both the MKII honing guide and the 38° blades that they don’t make a stop at 38°! :?

Thanks guys 35° it is then! :lol:

Nads

Back