honest critic required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello
I have been turning for about 1 and a half years now and would like your honest critic
Image122.jpg

Image121.jpg

I am quiet pleased with them , family and friends are normaly nice and tell me they love anything I make
Petra

Morris, they all look quite good to me ,I perticularly like the one with the fruit in it . I am sure the Big Guns will be along soon to ask about finishes and type of wood etc. Take note of what they say and it can only help you more. Very nice REgards Boysie.

At the end of the day, if the people that you are making them for like them then you are doing OK. Judging by the pictures the main critique may be the photographs themselves. It is difficult to critique things when they are seen en masse and at a distance. They look OK here but if you want full critique it may be better to show them individually and from different angles. Finish looks OK, shape and form is always a matter of taste . Welcome and keep turning.

Pete

Yes , I agree with Pete , need close up shots of each item to comment accurately , preferably in daylight

One thing to mention is the candle holders , I would turn a recess for the candle to locate in the top , and also make sure the candle never burns right down to the wood

look forward to the close ups :wink:

Quote:I am quiet pleased with them , family and friends are normally nice and tell me they love anything I make
Petra :unquote

Good!

Where do you go from here...?

You've accomplished (as far as one can tell from the pix) some good examples but they are typical of what is produced by most hobby turners.

Having acquired the skills where are you going to let them take you?

Mornin' Morris.

First better pics! Then for what I can see the shape and style look OK, but I agree with Graham, where do you go from here?

IME a bowl is a bowl, it does take something quite different to make them stand out, which usually comes with experience.

One thing I do notice needs sorting is your candle holders. As Blister says, you must recess the top for the candle, or fit a metal spike in the centre for the candle to be pushed onto. YOU MUST make them safe!

The shape of the candle holder is not very good IMO. All the shapes seem to just roll into each other so you don't know where one ends and the next begins. When setting out a spindle you need to finish a cove/bead with a fillet or something on those lines. Also when you sand make sure you don't take off the sharp edges, all this just tidies up the overall form.

After all that I would be happy to be where you are after just 18 months.

PS - Keep turning, all these things come with practice.

I used to turn years ago and found it very difficult, getting a good finish especially on end grain and producing a good cut that required minimal sanding and crisp profiles was especially so. If you are doing this you are turning well.

Hi Petra,
I've been turning almost for the same amount of time .... what I found ( and still do sometimes ) to be difficult, is to :

1. stop the 'tear-out' on the end-grain on the bowls & platters,

2. Match the inside curve of a bowl to the outside

3. Get a good 'sweet' transition in the internal lines from the base to the sides on a bowl.

These three things I have found the most tricky to consistently achieve... and from your photos, it seems you are 'on top' of these essentials.
I agree with the other comments about the photo's... if you could have a little more clarity & close-up, it'd probably be a bit helpful

I must say, I like the look of your apple !

For the 'relative beginners' like you and I are, - A very good bit of advice would be to keep coming back here, and read & see as much as possible from ALL the contributors, both 'novice' and the 'longer in the tooth , turning-wise' -- as the information you can pick up is absolutely invaluable, whether that is in aspects of design, techniques, pitfalls & past errors or whatever .... its great to be able to draw on the collective experience and learn

Lastly ... and perhaps most importantly.... Hello and Welcome ! Fantastic to see you here :D

I agree with the comments so far, in that the shapes are traditional and pleasing. Finish looks good too, from what can be seen in the pics. My only additional comment would be to begin to refine your candle-holders' shape, making subsequent turnings slimmer and - hence - more elegant. Obviously you won't want them to topple, but I think that's where you could experiment next. :)

Ray.

Hello all
thank you very much for your reply
to these candle holders, my friend brought a picture from a Marks%Spencer brochure where they are offered for a fortune
I copied the design and already sold 4 sets of them. they not fancy but plain and a bit modern.
I must say if you bundle them in three different sizes I would like a set for my fireplace as well.

my next project I will get some better Photos and let you see.
To the fair I will be going to . I have decided to fill some bows with
Pot pourrie for Christmas and try to sell each for £15.00.
I do not want to make a fortune but my house can only take so many
bowls.
I would love to try to make vases . But the hollowing out frightens my a bit.

Petra

Hello All
just to let you know how I got on at the craftfair
I really had a good time even when only 10 people turned up. I sold a bowl, an apple and a pear and was very proud of myselfe.

I have been to Harrogate at the weekend and got lots of ideas for bowls,
colouring and drilling holes and so on. I cannot wait to get started
Has any of you tryd the pens where you drill a 4mm hole with a long drillbit, about 19 cm all you need to do is turn it and push the refill of a Bic pen into it and there you are with a pen which does not cost a lot, coppers and you need not get things to glue and make them perfect. My office loves them as we all keep loosing pens and nobody wants to spend £8.00 on a pen.
I tryd the new tool to hollow out which I had a go of on the Show, perfect , but £80.00. I need to save up.
Dremel for Christmas and I am set to go again.
Please tell me which hollowing tools you use

thank you
Petra

Please tell me which hollowing tools you use

I make my own but before you get too excited... my hollow forms are usually around 13mm (0.5") ...diameter :lol:

Check out recent threads as there's been quite a few useful posts about tools and their relative merits.

Congratulations on your first craft fair sales Petra. :D
Have you any pics of the pens please? :wink:

Latest posts

Back