Homemade Router Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going the homemade router table route in order to save costs. Does anyone have any links to some plans etc... I realise that it mostly amounts to a laminated top on a stand with a fence; however, not having owned a table before I'm keen to make sure I don't miss out any important features.

Cheers

Hi Matt,
I'm doing the same thing. After a bit of googling, I found this excellent site that links to loads of free plans.
http://www.freeww.com/routertables.html
Although to be honest, I think Neil's (linked in previous post) is pretty spot on and I'm going to have a go at something extremely similar.
Darren

Me too..thought I'd cracked it but now I'm not so sure.

My original plan was to mount the router in my workbench but just practising with a mock up I find it far too low. I have been using a Ryobi table that I perch on top of my B&D workbench. This puts the router bit roughly at chest height which I had found an easier height to work at.

I notice Neils' table height is about workbench height. What height do other people use their route table at?

Roger

I am using an old Trend MK I router table that fits on top of a cheap and nasty workmate clone, this gives a working height of 44 3/4".
I will be making a table at some time, the height will match my bench, which is 41" so its not that much lower. I know that my bench is much higher than many but the height is from David Charlesworth's design in his book and it works well for me. :D

Roger Sinden":x1myvvum said:
How tall are you Dave? I'm intrigued by the height.
Been here before, I used to be 6' but age is creeping up on me! In my socks I stand about 5' 10 1/2" but in the shop I work in the clogs shown in my avatar, I am stood on just over 2" of cherry with a rubber shod under that!

Davids book Furniture-Making Techniques ( ISBN 1-86108-125) gives a design for a bench, which mine is based on, for the height,
The height of the bench top should be relative to the height of the user......
....My suggestion for avioding backache is about 100mm, 4in below elbow height, standing straight with the forearms horizontal.
As I said it works for me, just need to make a high stool for the sitting down jobs. :roll:

I made the NYW router table and it is very nice. I gave the plans to someone on the forum but can't remember who. Posisbly they might let you have tem if you're interested?

See here here here

Roger Sinden":3rnhxog2 said:
What height do other people use their route table at?
I have seen a design for a router table at chest height the author said this was the best height he had ever had a router table at. Stopped him getting backache was safer & in more control.

I'm sure this was in a magazine which I still have but it is packed away as we are moving in 2weeks if you are still interested I can let you see the article when I have unpacked.

I too was in the process of making a table I have the plate inserted fence is bought but still wrapped can't wait to move.

Hi Roger

Majorlarf":jhf6lxzt said:
Roger Sinden":jhf6lxzt said:
What height do other people use their route table at?

I have a Trend Craftsman and I use it at chest height. I find this excellent but I am debating raising it just a little more. :lol:

The only challenge, identified by Steve M, was with raising panels and I overcame that by making the table easily detachable from the base.

Cheers
Neil

Tony":9wrf4ez2 said:
I made the NYW router table and it is very nice. I gave the plans to someone on the forum but can't remember who. Possibly they might let you have them if you're interested?

I know who. The plans were too large to copy in their entirety, so I scanned each component into the computer. I'm quite happy to 'discuss' the project with anyone who's interested if they send me a private message and their email address.

I would have responded to this thread earlier but I couldn't find where I'd stored the plan folder on my computer :oops: .

Gill

martyn2":2z0j89pl said:
:D Hi Matt have you looked at norms table or are you looking for some thing a bit simpler :?:

martyn :D

I get the impression from various threads the Norm exists on TV?

I'm looking for something dead simple. Need it for an overdue job and my wife will not let me spend too much time on anything elaborate (although I can lock the workshop from inside...)!

Matt
You can make a very simple (but usuable) table from a piece of ply with a hole cut through for the bit. Just screw the router to the underside. A pece of timber clamped across the top acts as a fence. 5 mins to make and works just fine-support it on your workbench.
Or you can spend weeks and ££££ making a super-dupa one.
If you need to rout something quick go for route A :D
Hope this helps
Philly :D
who has made a lot of router tables

I've used my triton table for over 3 years, my main use on the table is for mouldings, and I would not be happy working at chest height because my weight balance would not be appropriate working at a higher level.
Why do some workers want these higher working heights?

I'm not sure if I would like chest height, but certainly higher than the 'standard'. I am 6ft4ins and I guess i'd have it at about 4ft, between my waist and chest. Everyone is different though.

Philly":1ev9gqah said:
Matt
You can make a very simple (but usuable) table from a piece of ply with a hole cut through for the bit. Just screw the router to the underside. A pece of timber clamped across the top acts as a fence. 5 mins to make and works just fine-support it on your workbench.
Or you can spend weeks and ££££ making a super-dupa one.
If you need to rout something quick go for route A :D
Hope this helps
Philly :D
who has made a lot of router tables
An excellent idea and gets me out of the most immediate fix. Cheers.

Back