Home made guage's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

A few guag's I made myself from bits of oak, beech, elm etc

Untitled-24.jpg

The mortice guage still has to be drilled for the pencils or pens. I think I'll use slotted ends and a set screw with a nut epoxy'd in to act like a little clamp. And have a little screw to hold the 2 stems firmly together so they dont get out of line when wedging up. Plus I prefer a longer wider fence than the usual guage's
The other 2 are in regular use. I prefer pen lines I can see them better as my eyesight is rubbish. Not accurate enough for some I admit but fine for my purposes :wink:
Cheers Jonathan :D

The one with the pencil is about 2 or 3 years old, the pen guage is about a year old and I just made the mortice guage (well its not complete just yet!).
Interestingly I just saw on ebay a very old mortise guage with fixed points, maybe someone used it to do windows or something? Makes sense I reckon if you do lots of one item or same dimension's, just have a supply of ready made guage's, twas only a scrap of mahogany and some "brads" (norm talk :roll: :lol: )

Jonathan - my lamps are getting bad for close work (can focus better if I take of the bins) but for ease of use, instead of the standard BIC biro shown in the pic, try using the fine point (usually has a yellow barrel) - still gives a black line but its a little finer, I use one of these now to mark out dovetails rather than a pencil which I can't see - Rob

excellent jonathan, that's just gave me a project to try out.
my eyesight is pretty poor also, so pen lines could be just what i need.
cheers kevin. :wink:

thanks for the tip woodbloke!!Its reassuring someone else is happy to use "ink" instead of pencil, it isnt traditional, but then I found out that the japanese carpenters have marked out joints using ink sumisutubo lines and bamboo pens for hundreds of years :lol: :lol: I just like the contrast. And if you use say a 2h it sometimes dents the wood. What make are the pens you mentioned?
PS what are "bins"??? :lol:
Go for it Kev, you cant have enough guages set for different width's. I've never got on with the steel pin ones difficult to be acurate and those pins are bloody lethal, just about as nasty as those carpet grippers, sods law says when you reach into your tool bag you'll always put your fingers on them spikes :roll: :lol:

Back