Home Built Drum Sander needs Abrasives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffflinger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Just finished building a 12in drum sander from an old lathe motor and shop scraps. Very pleased with results, initial tests showed excellent results, my manual vernier couldn't discern any difference in thickness on an 8in board.

Just about to visit the local scrapyard for a windscreen wiper motor to add power to infeed and outfeed rollers but I need some help sourcing appropriate abrasives on a roll?

Any and all advice welcome.

Best

Richard

I've not built my own but run a jet 16-32. I look out for surplus abrasives such as 6" long belts and cut into 3" strips to suit. I would suggest only buying cloth backed abrasives as it is so easy to have a catch and write off a whole length of paper backed.
possibly 80 and 120 grits are best to start out with. HTH

Last edited:
I was thinking about finding an appropriate sanding belts (sizewise). My test involved a length of cloth backed 80grit and some Gaffer Tape as it wasn't long enough to wrap the whole drum. Worked OK but gummed up a bit, however I think that was due to the bit of pine I ran through it. Major test was on an 8in Oak Board.
I've not built my own but run a jet 16-32. I look out for surplus abrasives such as 6" long belts and cut into 3" strips to suit. I would suggest only buying cloth backed abrasives as it is so easy to have a catch a write off a whole length of paper backed.
possibly 80 and 120 grits are best to star

Hi all

Just finished building a 12in drum sander from an old lathe motor and shop scraps. Very pleased with results, initial tests showed excellent results, my manual vernier couldn't discern any difference in thickness on an 8in board.

Just about to visit the local scrapyard for a windscreen wiper motor to add power to infeed and outfeed rollers but I need some help sourcing appropriate abrasives on a roll?

Best

Richard
https://stockroomsupply.com/collections/sanding-rollswill do for you
and you can get the Hook & Loop Replacement self adhesive backed 3” roll from them
https://stockroomsupply.com/collect...cts/hook-loop-replacement-conversion-per-foot

Hi all

Best

Richard
I cut my own paper loadings for a Jet16/32 sander but what width/length do you need? Also interested in how you attach the abrasive to the drum?
Brian

Abranet, yes it’s expensive but it lasts and lasts and lasts
Not thought about abranet on a roll for my jet

What type do you favour Aidan? Ironmongery direct list Goldflex Avomax and Hiomant and the prices are not too silly if it lasts well.

Oops, now I look in a paper catalogue, those abrasives are made by Mirka but none are the Abranet style of open weave backing.

Last edited:
Just dug out my instructions to self for cutting loadings for the Jet 16-32.
posting here just incase anyone finds it useful (apologies to OP for thread hijack.
Jet sander abrasive dimensions.jpg

This a video from a set on her self build drum sander on YT.
It's just the one about cutting and fitting the abrasives.

Do you have any photos or could you do a build write up? Really interested in this

Back