Axminster ST480 Drum Sander Combo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippymint

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Information for those owning a Axminster ST480 Drum Sander Combo.

I recently discovered that one of the four roller spring tensioner springs had lost tension. I purchased four new ones. I realised that in order to replace a spring you need to know what the initial spring pressure should be.

The manual refers to Tension Roller and settings and states that the initial setting is 'factory set'. There is no reference to what this setting is. You need this as a starting point as you may need to adjust tension based upon the work type being undertaken and tweaking pressure adjustment to prevent slippage and snipe.

Axminister could not tell me. As this machine is really a Supermax 1938 Drum Sander I emailed them direct. They have responded and have confirmed that the adjusting screws should be set to show 3/4 threads below the captive nut - this is what the adjusting screw, screws into.

I thought I would share this. Incidentally, having replaced the springs I measured the old ones and it surprising over-time how much these springs have lost tension. The length of the springs varied when compared to a new one but all was noticeably less. In conclusion, it is worth replacing them every now and then. In my case every 3/4 yrs.

Hope this was helpful. Feel free to ask any questions.

Back