Holly cow i made a picnic table!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Alan

The main reason for all the different colour is that the timber has been treated which gives allot of the board a very pale green colour, also all the timber came from a multi storey car park demolition site, the timbers were used as the barrier that ran all the way round the outside of the car park on all levels, I managed to salvage about 100-150 13 foot lengths out of the MASSIVE pile they were skipping.
So 1 board might have been from the very top and was in the sun and rain, where as others came from the very bottom and received very little natural light ect
Also after plaining it all up some were to split to be able to use the whole width, so I just used what i could, not really worrying about colour matching the boards as like you I really like all the different colours and grain patterns
Also having been in the car park for many years, I'm sure some of the boards would have been replaced over time with new boards, so some of it might only have been there a few years, and others could have been there for 20-30 odd years. Them's the joys of reclaimed timber.
As for the seat support strut looking so much lighter, thats mainly due to the light and the angle I was standing at. It looks a fair bit darker in the flesh, but also the legs on that side are allot darker then the board I used for the support strut.

To sum it all up, its unlikely you will get as much colour difference as I have simply due to what my timber has been through in its life, Rain, snow, sun, car exhaust fumes ect ect.

If you really want that much of a colour difference, then you could try very lightly staining each individual piece of your bench, perhaps giving random pieces two coats of stain, or watered down die, and others only one coat. might be worth a try.

Hope I've been of some help.

Regards

Andy

Bravo, sir, for such a patient and detailed explanation. Much appreciated, thanks!

Just to be clear, I've been talking about a simple garden bench, not a picnic table. So it will be a very simple affair - Liberon Garden Furniture Oil in Teak, the same colour all over!

Now ordering a litre from Axminster. Thanks for all your help on this one -the wife will be extremely pleased to see some progress on this mammoth project. ;)

And if there's any left over, maybe my B&Q picnic table will get a sniff of it. :p

First coat on, and I'm over the moon! I know this thread is about your great project, but just wanted to thank you again for giving mine a properly inspirational boot up the rear end.

Back