Holding insulation & boarding W\S roof.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

On my workshop build I have got to the stage where I insulate the roof.
A while back I got a very good deal on some fiberglass type insulation 100mm thick. All I need to do is cut it to size, hold it in position between the rafters, (I thought I would use plastic netting), then board it up.
Any suggestions on what to use as boarding?
I have some 2440mm x 1220 x 12mm OSB, but it is very heavy, and being on my own with a gammy leg, not very practical.

Any suggestions greatly received.
ATB Gary.

What are the centres of your rafters? OSB should be fine. If you're working on your own though, could you not cut the sheets down a bit so they re-join over one of the rafters? Just to make life that bit easier for yourself. :)

It is a bit of a struggle but you can do it on your own. i,ve recently done my shed roof inside with 8x4x12mm OSB I held the insulation in place with cloth tape then put a vapour barrier up which also helps hold the insulation in place. Fastened a batten on the wall near the ceiling leaving just enough room for the board to slot in. Then balanced the other end of the board on the step ladders. climbed the ladders pushing the board to the rafters and then wedged in place with a extending support rod (purchased from aldi for a fiver but they sell them for not much more at toolstation) The support rod holds the boards in place quite well allowing you to screw it to the rafters without any problem. Out of the whole process the worst part was trying to get the insulation to stay in place until it could be secured!

crazylilting":3orc6rzv said:
What about vapour barrier?
I think you will find that with OSB you do not need a vapour barrier as the OSB has so much glue in it that it is vapour proof.

It wasn't for that specific purpose he asked what to use to hold up the insulation.... And i think you are wrong on that account, it may take a while but it will sag.

Thank you all for your replies.

A vapour barrier will be used, but as it is in a long sheet and awkward to handle. The netting should be easier to manage.

Regarding cutting boards down to size has crossed my mind, but, the leased amount of times I have to climb the steps the better for me as it takes a lot out of my leg.

A bit of batten on the wall to hold up one side. It's so bloody simple. You get so involved in something you can't see the simple things. Good idea.

I must admit, I am not looking forward to doing this.

Thank you all for your response.
ATB Gary.

Latest posts

Back