hobbies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi stargazer and welcome to the forum!

to all posters
what an plethora of hobbies, all we need is hobby (estate agents, solicitors, and accountants.) and we would have the base for a multi million pound business :lol: :lol:

all joking aside how dose everyone find time to do all this?

woodbutcher.

at the mo its wood wood wood, work and hobby(turning). but have shot for wales at clay pigeon shooting.
also comp safari off road racing. both of these had to stop due to kids arriving :D

While woodworking takes up most of my time, I do like bikes...

Used to own some racing bikes, but did not race, I went to the track a lot and BOY does that cost money! :roll:

stu_gixxer1_04_09_26.jpg

My old GSXR 600 race bike, a few years ago! \:D/

Apart from woodwork - photography, computers and Hi-fi (the real thing - those black shiny things playing through an all-analogue system using thermionic valves!). They do get hot though and I do not need the heating on in my study where my system sadly now resides.
Most of my time though seems to be carrying out jobs for my two daughters who seemed to have married husbands with two lefthands (apologises to lefthanders!) :lol:

Rod

Cycling, reading, radio 4 - The Archers, occasional photography, environmentalism, current affairs, our toddler - quite consuming, beer - occasionally, cinema, theatre. Is that enough? :)

woodbutcher":2n4psqx6 said:

Let's see now.. My job-of-work office is attached to the side of the house so I don't have to waste time commuting and can take lunchbreaks in the shed. I hardly ever watch TV, and I don't sleep much. Not having to commute gains me about 3 hours a day of time for more fun things.

Don't really get the time anymore - doing up a money pit is time consuming.

Although like Fecn - anything remotely mechanical\engineering (as well as construction) keeps me happy.

Althought ain't as lucky as him (walk round the side of the house) but a 7 mile round trip against traffic - can't really complain. Taken bloody long enough to get a job so close to home.

I forgot about cars - that's slightly on the back burner at the mo. Somewhere in the list after - House, bathrooms, kitchen, decorating, furniture, workshop, garden..... she keeps making the list longer.

Still at college so whenever I have free time I get into the studying... :lol:

Na, like photography at the minute, DIY, cars in general and music (see the avatar)

Reading, astronomy, growing veg, cooking (my 13 yr old daughter helps), painting (water colour and pastel), electronics, computer programming.

Also swimming, squash and golf, but not finding time for them these days

woodbutcher":cclofs47 said:

Very easy. Time is not for anyone to find, although time is not linear.. When you turn the corner you can't stumble in a fragment of time. You have to make time.

The easiest methods for creating time is allocation of time. This can be done by skipping usage of time for other things.

A more advanced method of time allocation is through meditation and trained deprivation of sleep.

Fabrication of time, accessing anti time (yes this does exist) and breaking the time continuum are only for the very advanced.

To aid in your quest for time please join the TOET (Temple of endless time). To apply, deprive yourself of sleep for 23 hours for 23 days drinking 23 cups of coffee a day, have an orgasm and write me small essay about your ultimate goal of live. No resting allowed inbetween.

Walking the dogs. I used to do archery but I don't have the time now.
I like swimming and also photography but not on the scale I used t do it. Digital cameras make it so easy now.

SF

I have far too many and some have dropped by the wayside (amateur radio, flying, sailing, a few more...) but what takes up my time these days is:
  • Keeping our home network running and making sure my wife is able to do what she wants on her new Vista computer (HATE that o/s).
    Motorcycling - I managed less than 3000 miles in the car last year but did about 8000 on my bikes.
    Gardening - we have 1/3rd of an acre and we grow a lot of food.
    Rifle shooting - only an air rifle in the garden, but it's still fun.
    Travel - mostly to see family, but if the weather's nice we get the bike out and head for the continent.
    Cooking - and recently I have gotten rather good at it 8)
    Geocaching - recently brought into it by the grandkids.
I've probably got a few others, but they are 'fill-ins' when there's nothing else to do!!! I do a lot of DIY around the house, but most of that includes woodworking, too, so I haven't listed it...

Sounds interesting despite the slightly 'nerdy' name, but I have a question, if you can't bury the cache, or put it in a hole how can you hide it from non-cachers and what are the chances that this cache wont get moved/stolen or generally abused?

Finally, I might not be understanding it, but whats the fun in the treasure hunt if you are using GPS - surely that just pin points where it is and you simply find it by following the GPS - or is it more involved than that - please excuse my ignorance, no offense is intended, just trying to understand it more.

Just picked up a new hobby.

Fighting the council.

They will not proces my request for a builing permit. Only accept the paperwork, toss aside and bill me. Because my house if to large already, and my shop roof may not be higher than 2.5 meters. In fact I should even remove me kitchen, badroom and toilet. Because they are higher than 2.5 meter on the outside. And they can find any permit for it. Or in fact any permit for the whole block. Very strange since I picked up the permit from 1903 for my house only a few months ago.

ByronBlack":1pwuetml said:
Sounds interesting despite the slightly 'nerdy' name, but I have a question, if you can't bury the cache, or put it in a hole how can you hide it from non-cachers and what are the chances that this cache wont get moved/stolen or generally abused?

Finally, I might not be understanding it, but whats the fun in the treasure hunt if you are using GPS - surely that just pin points where it is and you simply find it by following the GPS - or is it more involved than that - please excuse my ignorance, no offense is intended, just trying to understand it more.
No problem. GPS is usually only accurate to 20' anyway and experienced 'cachers' find ingenious ways of hiding the loot. Our own cache is easy until you get to the last 50' and then the tree cover interferes with the GPS signal so you have to triangulate to make it easy. I think it might be easier once the leaves are down. You can put caches in holes - the only stipulation is that the finders have to be able to get them out and then re-hide them. Most are very well camouflaged. Try looking for a 35mm film canister hidden somewhere on a jetty.....and painted to match the background. That's an example of a micro cache - they come in all shapes and sizes. The biggest are usually things like ammo cans - we found one disguised as a bird house hanging in a tree! Clever.

Some caches do get stolen, but all have information in them about what they are, and a number of people have discovered the 'hobby' by stumbling on a cache.

Most of the fun of geocaching is that it takes you to places you might not normally go to. For example, recently we went to the natural amphitheatre where Eisenhower addressed the US troops before the D-Day landings. We found a lovely quiet park in the middle of the city in Belleville Ontario, we found a small park in Budapest where the 'Zero Kilometer' mark is. The people who found our cache - some of them never realised the park was as big or varied as it is because they usually only stayed around the town end at the kids playground. And so on. Our most fun cache find was at Gobblers Knob in Punxsatawny Pennsylvania......

P1000501a.JPG

One of the big benefits for our family is that it gets the kids out and away from the TV! Come the weekends, or even after school on a sunny day, they're always wanting to go out for a walk in the woods, or to a new location.

Hope this helps.

Back