hobbies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbutcher

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all,

just got to thinking as so many of us have the woodworking bug, what other hobbies do you have?

mine is cooking and not bad at it although i say so myself :lol:

woodbutcher.

Woodworking's the most recent addition to my hobbies list since I've only had a place to do it properly for the last 18 months.

My other hobbies include.. Computing, Electronics, Car stuff/electrical/mechanical and a bit of gardening. As a general rule, if I'm making something or fixing something then I'm happy. I particularly enjoy repairing (or at least trying to repair) electronic or mechanical gadgets.. DVDs, videos, washing machines, TVs etc. I've built my own home automation system (at the last house), PC Server case from aluminimum, gate automation, nappy changing table, steel-framed sliding gate, toybox, picnic table.. and most recently my CNC router thingy.

Astronomy - managed to combine it with woodwork by making a telescope.

Archery - haven't made a bow though.

Home cinema - Also combined with wood work as I made my speakers and screen.

Mike

Woodworky stuff is all I do now but I used to do...bonsai trees, hi-fi, SIB (ships in bottles) wine and beer making...still like to get immersed in a good book tho', am reading 'Labyrinth' at the mo' - Rob

Rob, I read labyrinth last year, thoroughly enjoyed it! Reading and photography(to a small extent) are the only other hobbies outside of woodwork, virtually all my spare time goes on woodworking in one form or another.

I suppose those of you who like ploughing hand tools through wood find it gives you enough exercise :) . However, my type of woodwork is pretty sedentary so when I'm not doing it I like to either walk my dog or dance.

Gill

The one that is taking up my spare time at the moment is model engineering, started a 1/6th scale traction engine earlier this year and here are a couple of other models.

In the warmer part of the year my bonsai and koi get a bit more attention

And I also paint the odd model figure but have not picked up a brush for almost a year.

JAson

Woodturning takes up most of my spare time these days.Spent about 5 years collecting and painting 28mm models,but have done almost none since I built the workshop (needed something bigger to look at - think it's my age.. :lol: )
Also enjoy gardening,car maintenance,general DIY,and do various odd-jobs for people.
Currently studying at home in preparation for a training course to become the companys UK DGSA (Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor) - also keeps me fit,as the books are big and heavy... :wink:

Andrew

Juggling is my other main hobby but these days it's more of a social thing than a serious hobby - I just turn up to the 2 local clubs every week for a chat and maybe 10 minutes of actual juggling. I still go away to several events every year lasting from 1 day to 9 days. It's a great way to travel to different places round Europe and the UK to meet up with friends that you may only see once or twice a year at these events.

The other hobby that I started recently is flying model planes. I've always wanted to try it and this year due to time off work ill I've had a lot of time to fill so thought I'd give it a go. I bought a foam plane to begin with as they're pretty durable but I soon progressed onto one made from the corrugated plastic that they make shop signs from. It's even more durable than the foam and very easy to work with. I bought a kit from here together with electric motors from my local shop and I've never looked back. It's great fun and has got me out of the house during this wonderful autumn weather we've been having recently.

Duncan

Cooking here too. I trained formally as a Chef.. just for fun, would never work as a chef. Not sure I really see this as a hobby, more a way of life, i'm very obsessive about the food world.

I also have an allotment but that has fallen by the waistside this season due to the whole house renovation thing.

I invested in some photography equipment a couple of years ago but as yet have no had time to master it all.

I think woodworking will become the main hobby going forward.

My other interests are my two Labradoodle dogs FLYNN & INDY. We got Flynn 3 years ago after many heart breaking attempts to get a family dog, as my wife and third child are allergic to dogs. Last October Indy joined us. Labradoodles are a cross between a Labrador & a Standard Poodle. Their fur is fleecy and does not cast.
After that i try to swim, i had to retire 2 years ago through ill health [ back problems and siatica ], due to accident at work 10 years previous, which ended almost 30 years in the leisure industry as a Lifeguard Supervisor.

'woodworking takes up most of my time now although I uised to indulge in: Archery, pistol and rifle shooting, Scuba diving, video production, writing and of late woodwork. :D Nowadays all I have time for is the woodwork. I had to stop diving due to a bad back or I would still be doing this too. :wink:

Main interest is squash - play in the Kent league for a club in Kent and try and make at least 2 games a week. Working in London and living in Kent doesnt leave alot of time sadly :(

Steve.

About all areas in woocworking and restoring/repairing/making hand tools.

Stained glass, tiffany and a bit of 3D painting and annealed painting on glass.

Music, although I do not make any any more, I still listen to it and perhaps pickup making some noice again.

Collecting antiques and electronics and writing computer software (actually also are my job), DIY and some photography.

Langugaes including (not all at the same level) Dutch, English, Italian, Latin, German, Arabic, Russian, Sanskrit and Coptic.

This seems as good a place as anywhere to introduce myself!

A long time diy (by necessity) hobbyist with interests in steam engines, astronomy, history I was recently dragged screaming into the world of historical re-enactment. As part of this I started helping out on a long term project to build an saxon long hall with traditional materials and techniques.

I naturally moved towards the carpentry side of things (you can only do so much daubing and plastering!) making doorframes, window frames etc all from seasoned oak and building frames from green oak.

Slowly I moved into making items for the living history displays for my family and started lurking here, picking up very useful information on hand tools and techniques.

Next big project is to convert the garage (single thickness wall) by lining it and insulating the walls and making a workbench.

StarGazer

Latest posts

Back