Hinges not closing fully

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pam

Reaction score
Following on from my finishing problem, the hinges on my box are not closing fully, i have rebated the hinge in with a router so it sits just below the woodline and have screwed the screws in as far as they will go but the box lid will not close fully, there is a spring to it. Any ideas?? :shock:

Hi Pam,

Welcome to the forum. :D

Have you cut the rebate for the hinges a shade too deep? The simple way to see if this is the problem, remove the hinges and cut a thin card shim to fit under them and refit and see if the lid now closes correctly. I this is the problem then you could cut some veneer shims for the box.

Wow!!!!

Thanks so much for a speedy reply, i will try that as all else has failed. Will let you know
Thanks again for the help

Another problem may be that the screws are proud of the hinge, make sure they are fully countersunk, you may have to enlarge the CSK in the hinge or use a smaller screw.

Jason

Thank you very much for excellent advice. I have inserted some veneer under the hinges and it worked!!!!!!

Perfect!!!!

Back