Hinges HELP...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nugget

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Not quite sure I can explain this very well but I need some help finding a very small kitchen cupboard type hinge or something similar

I need to make a flush fitting cover in a wooden guitar body to house a 9v battery. I want the cover to be small and as invisiable as possible, hinged at one end and I dont want the hinge to be seen. The cover will be aprrox 4 - 5mm thick for strength and just larger than the flat wide side of a 9v battery.

A standerd butterfly hinge wont work as the cover will not really have any gap around it so I thought a VERY small kitchen cupboard type hinge would work as the cover would come out as it opened, but I cant find anything small enough. Are there any more options out there?? My brain really isnt working today and I need some suggestions.

Appreciate any help
Thanks!!

Thanks for the response
I'm actually using disc magnets for the non hinged ends. Wanted the other end to be more permanent

+1 on the ribbon.

What's wrong with just a reverse bevel on the end of the recess, and a bevel edge on the lid? YOu might even do a pencil box arrangement - bevel on three sides, countersunk machine screw on the end to the outside: undo the screw and slide the cover off the guitar. I've got an ex-military wooden instrument case (originally for testing detonators!) that has a battery compartment like that.

My bass takes 2x PP3 (old EMG pickups). The recess is under the fingerboard, as the batteries rarely need changing.

Back