hinges for inline doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speed

Established Member
Reaction score
im building a alcove unit and it is having 2x doors flush with the face frame and will be made from 18mm MR mdf

the last one i made i used flush hinges but was not reall happy with the fixing strength to the edge of the mdf

so what are my options on hinge choice? ive looked at inset euro hinges but i dont have room behind the faceframe to frame sides to scfew the hinge plates to so i think i can only do it with some kind of butt hinge?

I usually make the carcase sides flush with the inside edge of the face frame to allow hinge plates for concealed hinges.

Concealed hinges need about 70mm from the back of the door. I find this is usually fine although it may prevent adjustable shelves going in some positions. Could you fit the plates on mounting plates or timber packers / batten.

I find the concealed hinges from Hafele have the best edjustment range and suit doors up to 28mm. 15mm crank hinges for flush doors.

Soss hinges are also possible although Ive always found them to have too much play and dont have the adjustment of the concealed Blum types.

What is wrong with traditional butts?
If you rout a slot to insert a sliver of solid wood, from the back so that it is not seen on the face of the door, then you can screw into the edge of the MDF quite successfully, because the screws are actually biting into face-grain wood.

Alternatively, if you want the invisible look, see if you can get plates designed for face frames. I'm sure Hafele do them.

S

i changed the design a little and used clip on soft close inset hinges, loads better than butt hinges :)

Back