hinges - any ideas to recover from blunder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amilford

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been building built-in wardrobes over the last few months.

The main frame is built-in and is finished on front with a face-frame about 3" wide between the doors (4 tall pairs over ahnging space, 4 short pairs at top). Doors aren't made yet but were intended to fit flush with the face frame (ie. fit inside the frame not on top of it).

Now here comes the blunder. SWMBO wanted drawers inside some of the cupboards. We don't need four cupboards of hanging space. So I've been building those in. Biut the blunder I've made is that the drawers go the full width of the space between the face-frame upgrights. I forgot that if you hang doors on butt hinges isndie the frame, when they are open they still cover the opening by the thickness of the door (if opened 90 degrees).

So the help request? Anyone know any hinges which can be used in this circumstance to move the door sideways as it opens so that the drawers will then open? Or do I have to either modify the drawers, or hang the doors on from of the face frame (not favoured by the boss but is accepted as a last resort).

I don't think I can use Blum type hinges as the face frame is only 3/4" thick and the side walls of the cupboards are set back somewhat from the edge of the frame. (Imagine a 'T' shape if looking down on a section)

Thanks in advance for any bright ideas

Latest posts

Back