Hinge thingy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I am in the process of compiling an item list for things I will need to make a tool chest with a hinged lid.

I don't really want the lid slamming shut all the time so I am going to get 2 of those door support things that look like pistons one to go either side, they help to close the door slower
Only problem I have with that is I haven't the foggiest what they are called.

Can anyone help please.

Thank you
A very embarrassed Gary :oops:

Word to the wise Gary, you need to work out the weight of your lid to buy the right gas strut. Elsewise like an silly person you could end up buying one that needs the weight of 72 Elephants to close it. :|
Obligatory netspeak: DAMHIKT #-o

Bm101":39dwsg7z said:
you need to work out the weight of your lid to buy the right gas strut. Elsewise like an silly person you could end up buying one that needs the weight of 72 Elephants to close it. :|

Ooh, I've never done that, honest... :oops: :lol:

Actually I did the opposite, pesky lid (on a trailer, mind you) won't stay open...

Bm101":1w0dvr00 said:
Word to the wise Gary, you need to work out the weight of your lid to buy the right gas strut. Elsewise like an silly person you could end up buying one that needs the weight of 72 Elephants to close it. :|
Obligatory netspeak: DAMHIKT #-o

Oh dear, I wondered what those Nm numbers were all about. :shock:

Anyone know of a decent elephant seller?
Probably the wrong forum to ask about elephant sellers (hammer)

If its a tool chest you could always go old skool and fit a chain to the lid and the side of the box. Make the chain long enough for the lid to go past the tipping point and when you close the lid the chain just drops inside.

Back