Hi!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PopaDom

Reaction score
Figured I should say hi and introduce myself, before I start posting for help. I couldn't see a new members pages, so if I have been a Muppet and not seen it I do apologise.
My name is Dominic, Dom for short, and I live in Oxfordshire. I am currently setting up a workshop for hobby use and to tie in with my study for a design engineering degree.
Thought it was a good idea to join up since I will probably be after some advice at some point in the future!
Cheers

Welcome. You obviously don't mind anyone knowing you live in Oxfordshire, so it could be an idea to put it in the location - it sometimes helps if someone is recommending a supplier, a source of help etc. It can make posts irrelevant sometimes as well - there's no point my recommending somewhere in Cornwall when you live in Oxfordshire. I have in the past PM'd people I knew were relatively local to tell them I'd seen something in the local market or paper that I knew they were looking for, which of course won't happen if we don't know within reason where you live. There are loads of people on here who don't give an approximate location - I can't see anything to be gained by it. Entirely up to you, of course.
Phil.

hi, thanks :D

no, no kids for me yet.

i am one of those soulless shift workers that 24/7 super stores were invented for. if you ever want to meet one of us go for a wonder around your local tescos at 1 in the morning, you'l find us shuffling along the energy drink aisle with the gamers and the vampires.

Welcome Dom, no question is stupid, I ask them all the time! If your just starting out may I recommend the for sale section, you can find some good stuff without the fear of getting ripped off. Oh there's also one unwritten rule, 'no pictures, it didn't happen' roughly translated means, 'we like to see what you've made'.
There's a wealth of knowledge on here and advice is given freely (not by me, I'm still at the learning stage), and if your stuck there's always someone close by willing to lend a hand.

Baldhead

Oh by the way, I'm the joker in the pack!

hi everyone,

thanks Baldhead, some good advise i will keep that in mind. i will post some photos of my projects as i do them, i think the first couple of things will be shop furniture type stuff though. my space is all very, heap of tools in the corner, right now. don't even have a bench yet!

and noted about you being the joker, although i get the feeling as with most men, we are both hilarious. Especially when the other half is giving us the "what are you 12 now?" look :D

Welcome Dom. As others have already said ,you are in the right place. For info, just ask. For entertainment , just ask about sharpening :roll: . It would be tough to find a nicer bunch of guys. Be sure to drop by the hand tool ward , wonderful lot in there once you accept our eccentricities. :lol:

Hullo Popadom,

A welcome from me too. You're in the right place for a lot of friendly & helpful advice. Knowing virtually nothing about wood working when I first joined (except schoolboy stuff which was a LONG time ago) I've learnt a helluva lot here.

AES

Back