hi I am a newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aramco

Established Member
Reaction score
hi I am a newbie and this is my first post earlier today I went on the scroll saw site on this forum and read some posts which all seem to be which scroll saw to purchase my first purchase was a Lumber Jack which soon went back some will say I made my second mistake buying a record power ss16v 16 " variable speed scroll saw. This was purchased about 1 month ago and I have never used a scroll saw before -but have done a lot of band saw work - but I bought some extra blades - cheap- off ebay another mistake - doing well aint I - I then bought some pegas and they are good and have turned out a lot of stuff some only fit for the bin but it is a steep learning curve and during this time I have watched a lot of scroll saw videos on youtube especially ones by hans meier these are extremely good ones and above all else they keep in the mistakes - even the best make them - and from these videos one blade seems to jump out all the time "flying Dutchman blades" these are only available in the states the price is comparable with ebay and through this site the postage is good it is called "mikes flying workshop" I am now awaiting my batch and just in case you have trouble finding good sites for patterns "steve good " at the scroll saw workshop he has well over 1000 all free and and others are contained in book form which I intend to purchase in the new year another one is Sue Mey at the scrollsaw artist site but her patterns you have to pay for in dollars and there is a good site on ebay that you can buy plywood by the a4 sized sheets either one sheet upto 25 sheets of varing thickness I use a lot of 1/4 inch for bowls 1/2 inch for planters etc and 3/4 inch for wall plaques andhave just compleated a fir teree out of a slice of elm and just before I go the rp is noisey and vibrates like hell but I will put some rubber under the feet and hope to stop that and the blade changes are a pain in the butt especially the pinless ones pinned are no bother and as a parting point I am saving up for a Hegner will not make three mistakes merry christmas and a happy new year and always wear your safety equipment

Whoah, that was an enormous paragraph John, jammed packed with stuff.

Welcome to the workshop. Its a bit early so feel free to sit anywhere.

As you've already found out, Steve Good http://www.stevedgood.com/catalog/index.php is one of our favourite sources of free patterns and seems a thoroughly nice bloke. Sue Mey http://www.scrollsawartist.com/ is also a great source of patterns. Yes they are in dollars, even though she's in South Africa, but she accepts credit cards and PayPal so the conversion is straight forward enough. Another source of wonderful patterns is Sheila Landry http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/ and I have lots of her patterns that are regularly made as gifts.

Oh, hang on. your mug is empty so I'll refill it with another coffee. The other guys will be along later.

Now where was I. Oh yeah. A lot of us have used or tried Flying Dutchman blades with mixed reviews. Several of us tried out the blades and found them to be far from sharp and kept snapping. We think it was probably a bad batch but having tried them without success, we then reverted back to our original favourites. I'm sure that most, if not all, of the bad batch have now disappeared so you should hopefully be OK. Having just started scrolling you won't have anything to compare it with but we'd be interested to hear your opinion of them.

Anywho, welcome, and we hope to see a lot of you.

Barry

1. Flying Dutchman blades are just re-badged Niqua blades, nice and cheap from eBay. I just bought a load and they're superb.

2. Vibration - a cheap scroll saw bolted to a heavy workbench is every bit as enjoyable as an expensive scroll saw that's allowed to 'bronco' around the workshop.

3. Saving for a Hegner? Get a 2nd hand Delta, far superior blade clamping system and you won't have to paint your clamps yellow so you can find them when the vanish in the sawdust, like you do with a Hegner.

hi and thanks guys for the input and Brian where did you get all the patterns from for the bikes dogs etc they are fantastic

I will keep in mind what naznomad said about the blades and my saw is bolted down to a bench I made from a design from the Carmichael workshop site will have to see it needs any further work

thanks bogerbaz that sheila landry designs site is a wonder to behold not had time to take an in depth look but the boxes are some thing else

so far I have done bowls plant stands with fairys on etc and a fir tree in a slice of elm cut on an angle should have gone in the bin but my wife loves it just finishing a christmas plaque and the other day I watched hans meier cut some small 3d chairs and a load of other stuff out of a piece of 1x1x2 inch wood and I had a go at that and amazed myself he also did a 6 and 9 piece puzzles I did the 6 but to do it properly will need puzzle blades and then he made small bird houses including birds out of wood the same size so that and a puzzle box are things to be having a go at over the holidays looks like my bandsaw boxes etc will have to on the back burner

thanks again for the input got to go getting earache from my better half

aramco":2zv83hde said:
...got to go getting earache from my better half

ae235

hi guys yesterday I had a go at making small furniture and puzzles only to find that the insert on my rp saw is too big for this kind of work so I will have to replace the insert either with a plastic one or metal I will let you know how it goes

also I bought some pegas spiral blades and they do not seem to wear very well and snap very easily

also I looked at various other scroll saws as an up grade to mine I contacted Delta in the states but they have not come back to me yet if they ever do I would really like a dewalt but cannot get one in the uk the only downside to both of these saws is I would need a transformer

I appreciate there is not a saw that will fit all any suggestions would be helpful as an up udate the saw seems to have stopped broncoing about for some unknown reason

a clean car is a sign of a sick mind

John, welcome, Lots of skilled people here (no, I am not one of them). But any chance you could put a few full stops in your messages? I'm getting out of breath trying to read all those words without stopping.

I am going to rake out some of my recent efforts to take photos of and post should be good for a laugh constructive criticism welcome

contacted a site selling Delta scroll saws on the uk ebay site from the states and they will ship one to the uk but I will need a transformer 240 to 120 volts as the Delta is 120 volts some thing to think about at a later date but my record power will have to do for now

john

hi all last week I ordered some scrollsaw blades from mikes workshop from the states and they arrived yesterday have not opened them yet as they are a Christmas present

have a merry xmas and a happy and peaceful new year

I have been intrigued by some of the intarsia scroll saw work shown on photos and websites so you tubed it watched some videos and was fascinated by how it is done something to give a lot of thought to for future projects

my first reaction was the wood had been stained but no it was different types of wood and as I find difficulty in sourcing wood in small quantities with out being ripped off for postage is it possible to paint the wood instead using acrylic paints to get the same effect :?

my second thought was I will use plywood but foresight kicked in and that was chucked out the window it would look rubbish no matter how much paint was put on, so more research is needed on my part unless someone can/ will point me in the right direction.

take care
hope you all have a happy Xmas and a peaceful new year
john

using 1 piece of wood is called segmentation or some such. no reason not to do it and it's great practice for when you fancy doing a true intrasia.
charity stores are great for finding odd bits of wood, unfortunately they are normally in the form of old well used bits of furniture, but that can be changed easy enough. :)

have fun. :)

Back