Hi guys happy new here from a total noob

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javid78647

Reaction score
Hi everyone just want to say happy new year well where shall I start I have been intrested in woodworking for a year now after watching inspiring you tubers create amazing things I have mainly been making things from pallets and reclaimed material untill I get better rather than wasting money on expensive wood I have no joinery experience but I want tolearn I have a dewAlt table saw
Bosch plunge router
Evoloution mitre saw
Katsu trim router
Circular saw jcb sander titan jointer planer I get stuck on my projects and dont no where to turn theres only so much you can learn from youtube I have had a beautiful lil girl 7 minths ago and I want to make a few things for her so guys please forgive me if I ask some stupid sounding questions hope you guys can helpe
Me on my journey thanks people

Hello Javid
Welcome to the forum
If you don't know where to start, there's a lot of paths to go down.
For me I got into "serious" woodworking as a byproduct of guitar making....
Realised how to do things properly 'the old way.
Not built a guitar yet, but I'm in no rush, and I'm doing everything the hard way, so it will pay
off down the road.

I now want to make nice benches, cabinets, tables and so on (hammer)

I suggest you get a Stanley no.5 1/2 with a thick sole, that hasn't been lapped by an oaf.
Watch Rob Cosman
And maybe delve into what you might wish to make

The hand plane opened up the world of woodworking to me,
I have a hunch you will have a much better idea of what you wish to make, once you get to grips with one.

Good luck
Tom

Welcome, as a beginner I've learned the only stupid question is the one you were afraid to ask that leads to a daft mistake it's always better to ask an obvious question than make a stupid mistake.

Hi guys thank you for your replys I really want to male a couple of pichure frames for my daughter but on my previous attempt for some reason the mitres were not lining up they were cut with my miyre saw any tips please

Picture frames you say...
How square is your stock to begin with, Have you dimentioned it yourself ?
Have you got a reliable surface to check for square, like a flat bench of stable material, like a fire door for instance?

If you do indeed have square stock, have you been shooting the mitres with a hand plane?
or are you trying straight from the saw ?
Have you been using a "stop" to butt the components against, so they're all exactly the same?

Doesn't sound like you own a hand plane yet though...

Tom

Hi thanks for your reply.I.have a stanley no4 and 3 record planes my stock is 1by6 I was going to rip a 2 inch thick from it wen I tryed in past the mitres are not lining up properly I think my measuring is of and im using my.mitre saw I have notused a stop in the past I have only made things out of pallets so they didnt need to be perfect but I want to up my game and learn

Regardless of what type of wood it is, it needs to be flat first.
After its flat on one face, it needs to have a square edge to that.
You won't be able to mark out a mitre, or even a square edge if you have not flattened your stock
first.
You can't check for flat if you haven't got a flat surface.
For instance plywood would not be anyway suitable, at-all for the job of a bench top ...
What kind of bench are you using for planing on?
I suggest getting a fire door if you don't have a flat surface for planing on mainly, but working on it
will be necessary for a good result anyway.
Good luck

Hi there guys!

I'm always happy to hear someone new has got into woodworking! It sounds like you have some decent tools to start off with as well. I think the scope of your projects are definitely capped by your skills and your tool budget.

Ttrees is the master and bang on about the various hand tool tips, however i think if you're a total beginner then you may be getting thrown in at the deep end a little!

If you're making picture frames then even if the 45' angles are out by a fraction of a degree it can cause your joints to look wrong and you'll end up with a wonky frame.

Depending on your budget mate i'd have a look at the website workshop heaven for a decent square, they're incredibly versatile tools and i've just bought this one its great allbeit a little small :

https://www.workshopheaven.com/moore-wr ... -inch.html

this can help you properly dimension and square up your timber like Ttrees said and also help you set up your mitre saw properly and make a couple of 'shooting boards' to really perfect your mitres. The 45' stops on most budget mitre saws like the evolution are rarely perfect, but if you make a cut somewhere near 45' then trim up on a shooting board you won't go far wrong

Beginner woodworking (a category that i very much still fall under) separates into two disciplines which can be best described by 2 youtubers:

Power tool woodworking - STEVE RAMSEY works almost completely with power tools, and is a perfect role model for beginners wanting to improve basic skills on a table saw, he makes lots of frames and simple boxes, so while you practice your hand tool work perhaps you could make some projects from his inventory.

Hand tool woodworking - PAUL SELLERS is a complete hand tool woodworker and incredibly skilled as a result of that, his projects take a little longer, but there is less dust involved and some would say the result is more satisfying.

The best thing to do would be to try and find a comfortable middle ground that you enjoy and you can keep learning new things. People like JIMMY DIRESTA and I LIKE TO MAKE STUFF fall into this category, and they are inspiring to watch and listen to on various podcasts (making it)

Please feel free to DM me if you have any other questions whatsoever, you're only in Bolton, so if there's anything i can help you with i'm not too far away!

Cheers
Joe

Latest posts

Back