Hi from N Ireland

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, nowt to do with "them boys in parkas, hi!"...:cool:; no, my wife developed adrenal cancer. We moved so that she could be within easier reach of my three children. The thought of her in extremis and them trying to get flights out of three different airports, into Belfast, did not bear thinking about. In the end, even with Covid restrictions, we all able to be present for her final hours.

I used to drool passing Gate 7 of H&W, as a certain woodyard was on the opposite side of the road; some cracking timber in there. I also frequented a well-known toolshop in Church Lane. It helped that I had taught one of the sons of the owner...I have good memories of living in East Belfast for very nearly 40 years.

I was in Belfast once, when it was sunny and dry, I think it was 1973, 2nd August, about ten past three.

My uncle in Antrim is able to predict the weather by looking out of his kitchen window towards a tall hill. If the hill isn't visible, it's raining, if it is visible, it's about to rain.

God's own country

No, nowt to do with "them boys in parkas, hi!"...:cool:; no, my wife developed adrenal cancer. We moved so that she could be within easier reach of my three children. The thought of her in extremis and them trying to get flights out of three different airports, into Belfast, did not bear thinking about. In the end, even with Covid restrictions, we all able to be present for her final hours.

I used to drool passing Gate 7 of H&W, as a certain woodyard was on the opposite side of the road; some cracking timber in there. I also frequented a well-known toolshop in Church Lane. It helped that I had taught one of the sons of the owner...I have good memories of living in East Belfast for very nearly 40 years.
Sammy
Sorry to hear about your loss, that's a tough one.
Most Norn Irish still end up comimg back y'know. Went up past H&W an Newtownards Road yesterday. N'ards Rd was not looking too prosperous. See H&W have won a big contract to build 3 boats/ships for the Royal Navy. Someone will have to wake up Sampson & Goliath - don't think they have built anything big there for 20 years. Maybe they'll build them in wood and we'll a get a wee job there 😂 Anyway I live the quiet life in Co Down countryside overlooking the Mournes. Good to talk

I was in Belfast once, when it was sunny and dry, I think it was 1973, 2nd August, about ten past three.

My uncle in Antrim is able to predict the weather by looking out of his kitchen window towards a tall hill. If the hill isn't visible, it's raining, if it is visible, it's about to rain.

God's own country

Aye I remember that day too. You wanna come back and see it now that we have global warming and everything. Mind you, we still like a good bonfire too 😎😂

Greetings from sunny and dry Belfast! Welcome to the forum :)
Val, I was in Castlewellan Forest Park yesterday - semi-tropical it was. There again today. It was autumnal but brillant. Its the only place to be 😁

Val, I was in Castlewellan Forest Park yesterday - semi-tropical it was. There again today. It was autumnal but brillant. Its the only place to be 😁
I know, it’s beautiful! All the area around the Mourne mountains is unbelievably good looking. I also like the Silent Valley reservoir for a good picnic in the summer (with an anti-midges spray, though)

I live the quiet life in Co Down countryside overlooking the Mournes.
Ahhh...my stamping ground at weekends, keeping fit for Munro bashing at Easter - every year for 25 years. Wee Binion gully is all changed I hear, and Cove Cave is off limits? Shame. Great wee spracle. My favourite has to be Binnion itself. God-awful ascent unless you go up the boiler plates on Wee Binnion side, then great scrambles the full length. You can easily see Ireland's Eye on a cold cloudless day, too.
Castlewellan Forest Park is a wee gem, as is Tullymore. Great deer in there. You have to be VERY canny to get near them; my record is 20m.

The Moyle way starts in Ballycastle, then takes in the three bumps of Knocklayd, Trostan and Slieveannora before dropping down into Glenariff Forest Park. A quick skelly online sees it listed as a "challenging two-day walk"...bullwarks!! I did it in one day, cars at each end, ice forming on the ruckers as we walked...soft ejit whoever wrote "two day". Access can be problematic; "yin oul' farmer" took offence apparently.. Council will tell you if it's open.

Try some of this lot:

https://www.google.com/search?q=the...me.0.0i512.4995j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
As to the N'Ards Road looking tatty, that would not take a lot of doing. During my time (1981-2018) it never elevated above somewhere you drove through expediently. I lived just a stone's throw above The Arches and rarely ventured below them. I was also a stone's throw from Paisley Towers and used to have the odd 'bomb scare, like' to enliven our existence...

Take are Rex, enjoy yourself! SDQ.

Not rambling so much in the Mournes these days. (Nowadays I do most of it on line instead) . My gammy knees aren't up to the descents any more, but I drive thru them every Sunday for a game of golf in Kilkeel. The views are spectacular summer or winter. The numbers out on the mountains now since covid has risen dramatically.

The last time I was on top of Donard, I met a young man (25 ish) from Carryduff. Told me he had ridden to Newcastle on his bike, climbed Donard and had promised his wife that he would be home by 12 o'clock to take over babysitting duties - this was about 11.30. There are some shocking liars in this country - wonder if he is still alive!

BTW The good - looking black and white guy on the left is Rex. He's a collie really but he thinks he's a wolf and howls like one. Me, I'm just 'The Man from God knows where'
Mind how ye go

Back