Help with the electrics on a Makita LS1214 mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought an LS1214 in need of TLC.
I sorted out most of the mechanical problems (guards+a few bits) but i am struggling with the soft start and electric brake.
they simply dont work.
i bought a spare switch (the big, expensive one) thinking that the problem may be comming from this, but after replacing it "as it was", in my machine, i still have no brake and no soft start.
This would indicate that someone may have messed around with that switch (maybe it failed, and was rewired to a much simpler setup ?)
would anyone know how that switch is supposed to be wired ?
(i am talking about item n58 here:
http://www.powertoolspares.com/tool/mak ... f/spares/#
)
i tested the smaller switch (59) and it's fine.
the previous owner had also messed about with the lock button (47): it's gone.

Stef - search for
Makita.ca + LS1214.pdf
This is the canadian site which gives a wiring schematic in the parts list
Matt

Thanks,
I've just checked, but couldnt find the electrical diagram.
I found the parts list and user guide, but nothing on the electrics..

Stef, it is there.

This is the screen grab from the google search
Screenshot2012-05-15at131029.png

and a screen grab of the displayed .pdf
Screenshot2012-05-15at131006.png

Hope that helps. You can't download the PDF without registering.

Have you finished the workshop yet?

cheers

Andy

Wow,
thanks for this !
i spent a good while on makita.ca, used their seach engine, but only got the parts breakdown and user manual!
really dont understand how i could miss it.
anyway, that's brilliant,
i can probably fix it now !

workshop is finished, painted in a nice blue, lights up, most things up and running !
next will probably be a cabinet for the mitre saw.
you've really got to stop by sometime !

hi stef
did you sort out the problem
i got one ls1214 and it starts slow but don't seem to get to full speed and there's no brake
any ideas
john

good morning troops,
i know this is an old thread but i desperately need help diagnosing the issue with this same saw. i am in the carribean and 2500 miles from the nearest repair facility so this is a self help deal. it stopped while making an easy no strain cut. low hour machine in perfect shape. i thought it had tripped the breaker but not... have done all the easy things... brushes clean and perfect. armature clean and perfect. all motor internals look and smell perfect. only hint is that the switch smells bad. BUT it seems to test ok . with one exception. when triggered it makes only 3 of the 4 attached wires live. problem is i don't know if the 4th wire is supposed to be live. if there is anyone that can work with me to diagnose, it would be a great help. i have meters and such and good mechanic but really don't know what is supposed to be what electrically in this device. thanks for all

steve

Back