Help with sharpening bead forming tool - please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightweeder

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought one of these at Harrogate, and now I need to sharpen it :shock:
I saw something on YouTube, and it just seemed like wrapping some fine abrasive around something roughly the same shape. I also tried to sharpen the edges a bit, but I'm not sure I've improved it too much. Now, I can't find the thing on YouTube. Can anyone point me toward any advice please ?

Hi LW,

I have an Ashley Isles that I use occaisionally, with these you just touch the bevel on the grinder like most other tools.

If you could post a picture or link then we can confirm our info.

Cheers

Richard

If it's the Ashley Isles pattern I just wipe over the flat bevel face with a diamond card, that way the contour of the profile is not changed.
DSCN1115.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1115.jpg
    DSCN1115.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 2,068
Hello all,

I want o clarify- by going over the flat side of the tool, does that mean towards the cutting area, or away from it, or does it not matter?

Thanks for the advice,

Cheers,

Michael

As long as you keep the bevel face flat and square to the sides it is not critical, the difference in edge burr from a diamond card or steel is so small it will disappear the moment you touch the wood.
BT.jpg

If you touch it up on a grinding wheel just make sure you keep the shaft at right angles to the wheel face, not had to resort to doing that on mine as yet.

Attachments

• BT.jpg
    BT.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,946
Back