Help with Owning & Outfitting my first workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicguthrie

Established Member
Reaction score
Um, how to start... Hello Everyone! I'm new to the site, and pretty new to woodwork in general, having swapped across from an IT background due to ongoing health trouble. I've got about a year of recent lightweight experience in woodwork, having not lifted a handsaw for around 20yrs since school before that. I recently came into a small windfall, and decided I'd put the money towards making the hobby more of a commitment by setting myself up with my own (10'x11') shed/workshop in my garden.

The design and details of the workshop chassis is finalised, all I need now, is EVERYTHING that goes in it, inside a reasonable budget. I'd love to go for second hand gear for the bargains that can be had, but unfortunately I'm married to a fine woman with a terrible case of the obsessive-compulsives who cannot abide second hand items around the house.

My aim is to do mostly small projects, in woodturning, boxmaking, eventually graduating to small furniture items so I definitely want a lathe, preferably with variable speed. Since so far, I don't really know much about the things, I've been asking around and looking for ones that are well reported on, and currently sit slightly undecided between two available from Axminster, either the Jet 1220VS or the Jet 1416VS if it's worth spending the extra money. (just noticed they've dropped the price in the sale, so they may have made my mind up for me there)

I'd like folks input on these lathes, if there is something I should be looking out for that would be a better choice for some reason, or if I should avoid the brand for some reason. I fancy bench mounted, as I can slide it back out of the way when not using it to regain the space between jobs. (I think?)

I'm also after opinions on a Bandsaw. I really fancied one that Axminster carried until they recently discontinued it, and the "best" alternative I've seen within my budget so far, the Charnwood W730 seems to have a good power rating, nice guides and some features that catch my eye, but again, I freely admit I know next to nothing about these machines, so if there is a reason to stay away from Charnwood (which admittedly I've found out very little about) or an utter bargain that is better, please let me know.

Also on my list is a drill press (Maybe the Axminster WD16B?), a small planer/thicknesser (Charnwood W588?) - an uncle is a tree surgeon - free lumber to usable wood seems worth the extra outlay to me - and a heavy duty enough dust extractor to handle any and all of the above (for this, I'm utterly lost and not quite understanding a lot of it), but I'll save asking questions about these for another post later, unless someone wants to post any useful info?

I'm somewhat worn out from scanning thru a million links and hundreds of dead ends for the last few months, especially ones that end in machinery only sold in the USA, so I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the forum, and hoping for some words of wisdom other than the "Use the search function" that I'd get on many sites.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.

Nic.

Hi Nic, welcome to the site and happy New Year. In terms of second hand...the missus shouldn't be anywhere near your shed, so no need to worry about second hand ;) The for sale section on here is often a very good place for picking up decent kit for a reasonable price. In terms of the specific machines, Jet are well regarded, but I've never owner any of those you mention. The best advice I can give you is to join a turning club and ask around there. You'll get the benefit of lots of free advice and tuition and there are always people there who have other 'woodie' interests. Also, you'll be able to try different lathes out (and other machines if you make friends and get to play in other workshops) Can't go wrong with Axi, as their customer service is second to none, even though they might not always be the cheapest - good luck.

Hi Nic and welcome.

I agree with Noggsy. You shouldn't allow your wife to influence your decision when it comes to machinery and hand tools where new is often inferior to good quality secondhand, especially if from a trusted source such as forum members. You'll get a lot more for your hard earned as well (if you're a Scotsman you must appreciate that :wink: )

Have you searched on the forum for references to the machines you are interested in? There might well be threads already there which may answer some of your questions.

PITA searching through brochures, but exciting as well - enjoy :)

cheers

Bob

Appreciate the input but not quite what I meant, I didn't bring up the subject of my wife's OCD lightly, we're not talking "Stand up for yourself" stuff, we're talking 40 years treatment, several psyche consults a month and handfuls of tablets a day, the sort of thing you try very hard not to push over the edge, cos it's easier than spending weeks putting her together again :)

I'd love to join a turning club or something, and I've been trying as I can, but I live in a small town (population - not many) and the best I've managed is to get together with some other hobby turners, none of whom actually have any experience outside of their own lathes, most of which are nearly as old as I am. Almost everyone in the area with any interest in woodworking that I have managed to contact is in the construction industry, and few of these have any interest in more than slapping together a shed. I've met a few that have shown me some lovely projects though, ranging from garden benches to dining tables and even traditional style Japanese lanterns. One of which I was talked into making myself! I might post some pics some time, if anyone would be interested.

After writing the post above, I noticed that there were some polls on which members owned what gear, and a few ratings for each, so I guess I'll check them out more. Being new I didn't want to go PMing folks at random about such things as I'd look like a spammer - in fact I don't think I even have PMs unlocked yet anyway.

I guess I was sort of hoping that someone may have some knowledge of the Charnwood brand. It's available locally as there's an builders supply outlet that deals in them, so that's a major plus, but they seem to be virtually unknown compared to most brands. I'm reasonably settled on the Jet lathe, as the brand seems fairly reputable, but I'm still a bit lost about the dust extractor and planer/thicknesser especially.

I'm off to check out Axi, and try and research some of the brands that are mentioned in the planer/thicknesser owners thread to look for small ones.

Thanks again.

Nic.

Hi Nic,

I have both the Jet 1220VS and the Charnwood W730, but I have to confess I've not used the lathe and barely touched the bandsaw :(

The Jet is still boxed and is likely to remain so until I make a bit more space in the workshop (I only bought it while Axminster had a massively reduced price that I didn't think I'd see again when I actually needed the lathe!)

If you're ever down in Sussex you'd be very welcome to have a look, otherwise I'm happy to answer questions and take photos of anything that's not well documented on the web, but as I said I'm not using them enough to have formed an opinion yet and as these are my first such machines I have no experience of anything else since CDT classes 20 years ago!

My gut feeling based on the research I did at the time of purchase is that the Charnwood is much of a muchness with any other bandsaw in the same price range and seems to give more bang for your buck than most if not all.

Whether it's the saw I would have bought if I'd had double the budget is another question though - I think I would have jumped on the JWBS-14Q when it was on sale for about £800 at Axminster a few months ago.

Hopefully this year I'll be able to spend a bit more time actually doing stuff in the workshop rather than sitting at my desk working and occasionally indulging in retail therapy ...

John

Hi Nic

Sounds as if it's definately buy new then for an easy life. OCD in the extreme is an illness so definately not to be taken lightly so I appologise if my comments hit a nerve - wasn't meant that way.

Can't help with the lathe as it's years since I owned one so it's keep looking and you'll have to take the plunge at some stage.

My missus says I'm OCD when it comes to my car, (and van, and hers). I probably am as even when the kids park their cars in my drive which if there more than a few hours I'm compelled to get the hose out :? I fancied a driving holiday in Europe which she's point blank refused - just 'cos I won't let her eat in the car :roll: - so I guess I am :oops:

cheers

Bob

nicguthrie":1du8ebjy said:
I'm still a bit lost about the dust extractor and planer/thicknesser especially.

I'm off to check out Axi, and try and research some of the brands that are mentioned in the planer/thicknesser owners thread to look for small ones.

I missed the references to planer, drill press etc in your original post.

I've been accumulating machines while I have money but no time so that I have something to do if/when I have time but no money, so I'm not 100% sure what I need, let alone qualified to advise you, but you don't seem to be getting much of a response so I'll give you my 2p-worth in the hope it's useful :)

Depending on how much space (and budget) you have, Axminster currently have their AW106PT2 planer-thicknesser reduced to £569 (assuming you don't mind the old paint colour).

Just a thought, but If you're going to be using it a lot with free timber then perhaps you'd be better off with the trade rated machine with cast iron tables and 3 blade cutter rather than the false economy of wearing out several smaller and less well made hobby machines?

I'm sorely tempted myself, but I've so rarely used my SIP 01552 (like the Charnwood you are looking at but can thickness 8" x 8" instead of 8" x 5") that I can't really justify it, even if I could find the room for it.

Another reason for not changing is that it requires an extractor with 1,000 m³/hr capability and my Axminster/Numatic NVD750 vacuum/extractor can only do about a third of that flow ... (the NVD750 is a great extractor with good filtering capability, but a little pricey).

For a pillar drill I don't think you'll go far wrong with the Axminster WD16B. I opted for the AWBRD550 to give more flexibility, but it's rather big for my single garage workshop.

I hope this helps

John

Nic, sorry to hear of your wife's condition, I have huge sympathy for you both. Good luck with your research and enjoy whatever machines you end up buying. Some really good deals on end of line machinery on the Axi site at the moment.

If your going the new road and have a limited budget, then I think you will find that all machines of that ilk are made in china and badged up to suit who ever is selling them in the Uk. Even the Axminister brands are pretty much the same as all the rest. You might have a few different knobs and bits and bobs, but mainly the basic machines are as far as I can see are much of a muchness. So I'd go for what was on offer at a good price and was easiest to collect or get delivered.
Sadly even hand tools and planes have gone the same way, You take Record/Erwin and stanley all the same rubbish. Even Quangsheng planes are the same as many others on the market, all made in china, just finished a bit differently.
Have a search through Youtube, there are lots of videos there that will help you with making a choice and many many other bits of kit and jigs one can make and lots of machinery reviews.

Awesome stuff thanks. Just the sort of little tidbits I was hoping for, and don't worry, I don't take it personally, after 17.75 yrs married it's just part of life's landscape. :) I'd love to know what Jaywhoopee thinks of either of those bits of kit when he gets a chance. I guess I'm still thinking like an IT guy, where there is a right and wrong choice for any job - I need to swap to thinking more along the lines of what I can use, afford and learn to get the best out of.

The Pillar drill is probably decided then, I fancied the WD16B partly cos there's an addon to turn it into a lightweight occasional morticer, so if a job I do requires a lot of M/T joints or my health is particularly crappy, I'd have an easy option with that added :) As for the planer, the whole workshop is just over 9 foot by 10 foot internally, so I was hoping for a bench mounted, maybe look for one with resharpenable blades, as one thing I have invested in is a very very well reviewed sharpener from the US. Thanks for the thoughts about the blades, my Uncle is always breaking chainsaw blades on wood inclusions... I'd not thought about that passing forwards to planer blades too.

I actually have watched lots on youtube, but quality control of those videos is non extant, so you move from someone talking while a camera points at his new machine but he forgets to actually review it, all the way to advertising blurb ones that are even worse, cos they're there to make everything they sell look like it's been made by Skynet. My head was spinning so much one evening from trawling reviews and adverts and catalogues, that I sort of threw this general question out here on the forum. I've been trying to take time to get around to using the forum and struggling vs my rather introverted nature, but hey, I've burst the bubble now :)

I may try more focussed questions in future about individual bits of kit, to see if anyone is familliar... In fact, I'm off to post one now :)

Back