HELP! with name of ROUTER BIT and more . . .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrenchDoors

Reaction score
Hi

I'm not a carpenter, but I'm a competent DIY'r.

I've got to build 4 matching doors to span 2144mm.

I've decided on French doors - 2 fixed lights either side of two openers each 536mm each.

My internal door width will be 35mm.

The mullion & muntin will be to chunky I know - but as far as I can make out (from the sites in the States - this size is my only option).

MY PROBLEM

Does anyone know where I can buy and what this Router Bit/Cutter called in the UK.

That will be OK for internal French Doors,

i.e. the Divided Lights
(the grill that holds the glass which are known as the: mullion & muntin)

I need the correct term for the router bit that joins the mullions & muntins
into the stile & rails.

In the States, they are called Window Sash sets - which are really expensive.

I have been searching on Google/YouTube for nearly a week, and cannot find anything that comes close.

You can buy sets that do glass panels, but that is only for stock designed
for kitchen cabinets and furniture.

I've got to make these doors myself, as I can't find shop brought internal
French Doors to fit our dividing space (either to wide or short).

I've had quotes back from carpenters, this has turned out to be prohibitive.

If you don't know of the correct term, are there 'individual bits' that you know that will do the job?

As this is to be a French door, it would be nice to have a similar profile
on both side of the horizontal & vertical bars (mullions & muntins).

What I do need is a "Recoverable Bead" in case the safety glass needs replacing.

I've looked at MATCHED RAIL & STILE CUTTERS . . . . . to get the profile such as OGEE - do you then router the profile AFTER routing the rail & stiles?

As you can see, I'm a tad confused.

My Makita Router and table have been ordered - all I need to start this one off job is the router bits (1/2").

Any help, tips or guidance would really be appreciated on any part of this project.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Check this site out, I think you'll find most forum members will recommend this company.
www.wealdentool.com/
On their site look under 'Door Sets' there are several different profiles, and also helpful information.
BTW these cutters are pretty big beasts so you will need a decent size router under the table. definitely NOT a hand held job.

John. B

It sounds as if its a Panel Door Set you are looking for but these are more for cabinet doors I doubt you will get a set large enough to make room doors and definately not for use with a portable router even fitted to a table

Latest posts

Back